Skip To Main Content


1) Where can I find prerequisites for a course? Do I really need to take them?

It is up to you, the student, to make sure all course prerequisites are met. If you do not meet the prerequisites for a course, you can only register for it with the consent of the head of the department in which the course is offered. Failure to meet course prerequisites will result in being dropped from the class.

Prerequisites are listed in the graduate catalog.

2) Can a student take a break from the Distance Learning Program?

Yes, you can skip a semester or two. But after two main consecutive semesters - for example, fall and spring – you must enroll by the last semester you took a course to avoid being withdrawn from Texas A&M University. For example, if your last course was in a Fall semester, you must enroll by the following Fall semester or you will be considered "not returning" and go "inactive." If this happens, fill out a re-admit application for review by the graduate committee to see if you maintained a good academic standing of 3.0 or above which is required by Texas A&M.
Note: there is no guarantee you will be readmitted, and you only have seven (7) years to complete the degree program from your original date of acceptance.

3) Where is the re-admit application?

Re-admit application: 

4) Is there a limit on the number of years to complete the Master of Engineering Program?

Yes. You must complete the Master of Engineering within seven (7) years to avoid the loss of classes taken. An extension for a course about to expire is allowed ONLY if you are planning to graduate within that following semester. Please review the graduate catalog for detailed information.

5) Where do I submit my degree plan/petitions/extensions?

Submit your degree plan/petitions (course changes, committee member add/delete/change, etc.) /extensions on the Document Processing Submission system:

For more information about degree plans, see the menu to right and click on DEGREE PLANS link.

6)  Where do I get a student ID?

E-mail the Aggie Card Office at from your official TAMU email account requesting the distance education ID card and they will verify you are eligible and mail you the ID.  

7) I am taking one course but need to drop it. What do I do?

Visit with your instructor first. They can tell you if the coursework becomes more challenging as the semester progresses, suggest study strategies and resources appropriate for their course, and provide other helpful advice.

If dropping your class puts you at zero (0) hours. you need to follow withdrawal procedures:

  • Scroll down Howdy website to STUDENT WITHDRAWAL
  • Fill out the form
  • Submit it online to the office of the student's academic dean

Note: withdrawing with zero hours will not affect your registration for the following semester.

For additional information about withdrawing from the University, see Part I, Section 17 of the Texas A&M University Student Rules ( Also, review the link on refunds.

8) I am taking two courses but need to drop one. How do I do that?

Talk to your instructor first. They can tell you if the coursework tends to become more challenging as the semester progresses, suggest study strategies appropriate for their course, and provide other helpful advice to deal with the situation. Please confirm any Q-drops you make with our Online Learning Staff at

9) The video for my class has bad sound or resolution. Who do I contact?

Please contact and copy the DL Staff: 

10) What if I am having trouble with my Gmail password?

Contact the HELPDESK:



1) I am in my last class (PETE 692 -professional studies). Now what?

See menu to right and click on GRADUATION link.

2) When do I choose a subject for the final research project (also known as final exam)

Check with your Chair (Advisor) to determine when to start your last course PETE 692 - either semester prior to it or the beginning of your last semester. We recommend you check as early as possible since the deadline for presenting (defending) the paper is usually mid-semester.

3) Do I have to take the final exam or am I exempt?

Final exams (your written report) are required. Check with your Chair (Advisor) if unforeseen circumstances mean you need to present your paper (final exam) the following semester.

4) Where do I go to find out about graduation?

The Office of Graduate and Professional Studies (OGAPS) website:

See the Graduation link on the menu to the right for more information.



1) I did not see anything stating registration, did I miss it?

Make sure you are on our email Listserv (instructions are on our New Student page).
Information about registration is generally sent out mid-semester to the Listserv.

2) What if the class I want is not taught this semester?

Some classes are taught every other year or every two years. Check with your advisor (Chair) as to which course is more suitable to replace the one you want, or wait until it is taught again.

3) What if I am having trouble with tuition, reimbursement checks, and billing?

Visit the Student Business Services website for the correct contact person.


Good links to know

Academic Rules (Note: not all rules apply to our online program.)

Graduate Catalog

Texas A&M Academic Calendar (You are responsible for keeping track of dates and deadlines.)

Howdy: (This will have your student schedule, degree evaluation, and other valuable information to help you succeed in the program.)

Office of Graduate and Professional Studies:

Refer to your Texas A&M Gmail for any departmental communications.

To verify your e-mail settings, navigate to the Aggie Gateway ( and check the settings under the "Email Settings" tab.