Skip To Main Content

Financial Planning Considerations in Choosing a Program

  1. How much do programs cost and what expenses are covered in program fees?
  2. Are tuition and fees included in the program fees?
  3. What other expenses should I expect to budget for?
  4. When are program payments due?
  5. When do I have to pay my tuition?
  6. How and when are scholarships awarded?
  7. What about other scholarships and stipends?
  8. When will the financial aid form be filled out and posted?
  9. Do you have a payment plan?
  10. Can I get my money back if I withdraw?

When can I study abroad?

You can have a global experience at any time during your undergraduate career, from your general engineering year to your senior year. Planning is key. You can start planning your global opportunity as a freshman engineering student. Once you have gone through the Entry to a Major process, there are many opportunities including short-term programs, research internships and semester-long exchanges at one of our partner universities.

How long can I study abroad?

The program length will depend on what type of program best fits your needs. Programs range from one week up to one year. Most engineering students choose the short-term programs (faculty led or field trips) that run between one-five weeks offered during different times of the year. Another great option is the semester-long exchanges in fall, spring and summer terms. When planned properly, reciprocal exchanges allow a fully immersive global experience that does not delay graduation. Last but not least, an international internship during the summer (eight-ten weeks) is another great way to develop your global mindset while working on an engineering project in another country.

If I study abroad will I still graduate on time?

Taking academic coursework abroad will not delay your graduation in most cases. Our office creates global opportunities that can be taken in the interim sessions (summer, Augustmester and Wintermester breaks). This flexibility allows you the option of taking a lighter course load in the fall or spring. In addition, we work closely with our semester exchange partners to map the courses so the classes taken abroad can be transferred to your degree plan at Texas A&M. Planning is key, and we always recommend that students meet with their department academic advisors to discuss the option that best fits into their department’s degree plan for their major.

How can a College of Engineering global experience count toward my degree plan?

These opportunities provide you the option to complete required engineering coursework while also seeing how other engineers around the world may use different means to solve similarly complex problems.

Approved global academic coursework and international internships taken globally are fully transferable on your academic transcripts. They may also satisfy other graduation requirements including critical pathway courses, minors, certificates, engineering technical and directed elective coursework, the International and Cultural Diversity (ICD) requirement and the ENGR[X] requirements.

We have created programs that, with the right amount of planning, are flexible enough to fit into your undergraduate program of study. Learn more about degree plan requirements, including minors, certificates and ENGR[X]:

Will my classes transfer back to Texas A&M?

Yes. All faculty led programs and field trips are Texas A&M courses. They are fully equivalent to the Texas A&M coursework taught on campus. This means that taking a class such as Thermodynamics (CHEN 205) in the United Kingdom during summer counts the same as it would on campus (the grade you receive in the faculty led class counts towards your GPA).

Semester-long exchanges (REEPS) transfer credit for coursework that has been approved by your department academic advisors as fully equivalent coursework. Students will receive transfer credit (Transfer Pass/Transfer Fail), just as they would if taking a class at a community college.  Transfer Pass/Transfer Fail does count toward the student’s number of credit hours and Aggie Ring, though it does not count toward a student’s GPA. *On a student’s Texas A&M transcript, it will be relayed as TA, TB, TC, etc.; it is important to take the course abroad very seriously. 

Reciprocal exchanges are amazing opportunities but do require extra time to plan. We recommend that students meet with our office as well as their department academic advisors early in this process.

Do I have to speak a foreign language to study abroad?

No! All engineering and academic transfer credit courses are taught in English, but you may take foreign language classes abroad if they are offered and you wish to do so. If you take language courses abroad, you may be able to apply these credits towards the International Engineering Certificate.

When should I apply for a program?

Since we operate our programs on a first-come, first-serve basis, we advise students to join our interest lists to be notified when applications go live. By doing so, students who meet the application criteria increase their chances of being accepted into a program, as programs can fill early in the application cycle. To join, simply click the “Join the Interest List” button near the top of the program page you are interested in and fill out the form. Our office will notify students when the application opens for the program they are interested in.

How much do programs cost and what expenses are covered in program fees?

It depends on the program. Program fees can range from $2,000-$7,000 depending on the type of the program, location of the program and length of time of the program. The reciprocal semester exchange is the best value for you as a student based on the length of time spent abroad. For more information on program pricing, please visit the program page of the opportunity you would like to know more about. All program fees and tuition are billed to a student’s Howdy account.

When considering programs, you should also keep in mind the costs associated with the program that are not included in the program fee, such as airfare, tuition and fees, textbooks and supplies, some meals, etc. All of those expenses will be accounted for on each individual program page.

Program fees are associated with program expenses that are independent of the actual class. Program fees typically include lodging, in-country transportation, excursions, etc. All global program fees are billed to the student's Student Business Services (SBS) billing account in the Howdy portal once a student has financially committed to a program. No fees are collected by the Halliburton Engineering Global Programs Office.

Are tuition and fees included in the program fees?

Texas A&M University tuition and fees are the expenses associated with enrolling in a class or classes. Texas A&M University tuition and fees are always charged by SBS. Tuition and fees are the same whether you study in College Station or abroad on one of our programs.

What other expenses should I expect to budget for?

International airfare, travel documents (passport and/or visa, if needed), meals not included in the program fee, textbooks and supplies, and personal spending. Personal spending is typically estimated at $50-$200/week.

When are program payments due?

It depends, but most program payments are due 60 days before the program departure and before most scholarships are awarded. Students will receive a customized budget statement once formally accepted into a program.

When do I have to pay my tuition?

Normally, tuition and fees are due at the start of the semester in which you register for the program. Please visit the SBS website for payment due dates .

How and when are scholarships awarded?

University Wide Study Abroad Scholarships are awarded on the basis of academic merit, leadership/participation and financial need or any combination of these items. Scholarships are normally disbursed after program payments are due. The University Wide Study Abroad Scholarship Application deadline submissions are determined by the term in which the program will take place.

Note: Scholarships will only be awarded to students who are enrolled full time for the semester in which they are applying for the scholarship. For more information please visit our affordability section.

What about other scholarships and stipends?

If you are a recipient of a scholarship in a program such as the Terry, Brockman, President’s Endowed, Challenger, McFadden, Lechner, etc., you may qualify for a study abroad stipend. Please contact your scholarship coordinator for specific information to determine whether or not you are eligible to leverage part of your scholarship toward a global opportunity.

In order to leverage most academic stipends, students must be enrolled full-time for the term in which they are applying. For complete information on funding opportunities, please visit the Texas A&M University Education Abroad Program Office for financial resources.

When will the financial aid form be filled out and posted?

We will have all the financial aid request forms available at the program orientation (paper copies). We will also post a PDF copy on your Education Abroad portal under the “Documents” tab.

Do you have a payment plan?

Yes! The university has an installment plan that students may use to stagger their program payments. For more information, please visit the   Student Business Services website.

Can I get my money back if I withdraw?

If you decide to withdraw voluntarily from the program, the amount we can recover on your behalf will depend on several factors. The $500 administrative fee is nonrefundable. However, if you have already paid for your program in full, we will reach out to our vendors to see if we can get money back. If they are unable to refund the payments and there is not another student to take your place, then you will be held responsible for the full program cost.

For semester exchange students — if the application to attend the program is approved, you will be notified and asked to confirm your participation in the portal, after which you will be officially nominated to the host university. After being nominated, you will receive instructions on how to complete the host university registration process. If you decide to withdraw voluntarily from the program, you must do so before the official deadline. The $300 REEP fee is nonrefundable past that point.