Skip To Main Content

Engineering Honors students majoring in computer science (CPSC), computer engineering-computer science track (CECN), or the Bachelor of Arts in computing (COMP) must meet the academic and non-academic requirements for this track.

We have also included a sample course plan to be used as a guide when selecting courses each semester.

Academic Requirements

Students must earn at least 21 hours of honors credits (undergraduate honors courses with HNR prefix or graduate courses) in courses offered by the College of Engineering or Science.*

*Any course offered by the College of Science (e.g., biology, chemistry, mathematics, physics, or statistics) can be used to fulfill Engineering Honors requirements, as long as it is approved as part of the student's degree plan.

Your hours must consist of the following:

  • At least 12 hours must be engineering credit (including honors ENGR courses plus honors courses from any department or major in engineering)
  • At least 3 hours of an honors CSCE 400-level or approved CSCE graduate course; see Fast Track section below for more information
  • Exactly 6 hours of CSCE 491H, taken as part of the Undergraduate Research Scholars program; see Research Experience section below for more information
  • Exactly 1 hour of Engineering Honors Seminar (ENGR 181H)
  • At most 3 hours of satisfactory/unsatisfactory coursework

For ways to earn honors credit, please visit the General Requirements page.

Graduation requirements

  • Grade requirements:
    • Earn a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher
    • Earn a GPA of 3.25 or higher in honors courses
    • Earn a GPA of 3.25 or higher in the final semester
    • Earn no grade lower than a B in the required honors courses
  • Complete a thesis with the Undergraduate Research Scholars Program; see Research Experience section below for more information
  • Receive no honor code violations
  • Take at least one approved honors course during each academic year (and pass with a grade of B or better)

Research Experience

  • Get involved in research with a professor in the CSCE department for at least two semesters and take 6 hours of CSCE 491H, 3 hours each in consecutive fall and spring semesters (either junior year or senior year).
  • Participate in the university's Undergraduate Research Scholars program, which guides you through the process of writing a bachelor's thesis about your research. NOTE: This requires an application. Find out more about the Undergraduate Research Scholars program here.
    • Though a rare occurrence, if you believe you should be exempted from the Undergraduate Research Scholars requirement, you must get prior approval from the CSCE Honors Committee. Fill out this form to submit a request.
  • Curious to see completed CSCE undergraduate theses? Here are some thesis examples.
  • Hints for finding a research advisor:
    • Think about what kind of things you like to do (write code, design/analyze algorithms, perform user studies, build hardware, etc.).
    • Attend Engineering Honors-CSCE and other departmental activities that involve interactions with professors.
    • Ask your course instructors about their research.
    • Explore our research area pages to discover our interests.
    • Make an appointment to talk to professors whose research looks interesting to you.

Fast Track

  • A subset of the CSCE graduate courses is in the "fast track," meaning that you get double-credit for these: undergraduate credit for your bachelor's degree, graduate credit that can be used later for a graduate degree.
  • The benefit is that you can simultaneously fulfill your undergraduate requirements while getting a head start on graduate coursework, which can shorten your time to receive a graduate degree.
  • Fast-track courses count as honors credit.
  • Find more information and the list of fast-track courses on our fast track program page.
  • Follow the instructions under Undergraduates Enrolling for Graduate Courses to request enrollment in a CSCE graduate course. When completing the Registrar’s petition as part of your request, be sure to only check the box saying "Reserve for graduate credit.”
  • After you finish a fast-track course, you need to contact the CSCE Undergraduate Advising Office to request credit by exam for the corresponding undergraduate course.

Non-Academic Requirements

  • Honors Required Meeting: Meet with an Engineering Honors-CSCE track coordinator or an Engineering Honors-CSCE committee member during each regular semester you are on campus (fill out the correct meeting form first and bring a hard copy to the meeting). Schedule your meeting.
  • Activity: Participate in at least two CSCE Engineering Honors program-approved activities each regular semester you are on campus. View the Engineering Honors activities for a list of all upcoming Engineering Honors activities. View the Engineering Honors-CSCE Activities for a list of upcoming Engineering Honors activities specifically for CSCE.
  • Annual Report: Submit an annual Engineering Honors report in May of each year (information on how to do this will come via an email from Engineering Honors).

Curricular Notes:

  • Any 600-level CSCE course can be used for honors credit, except for CSCE 601, CSCE 602, CSCE 603, CSCE 681, CSCE 684, CSCE 685, or CSCE 691. To take a graduate course, you must fill out the graduate course form. Take the form to the CSCE Undergraduate Advising Office after having the instructor sign it.
  • Undergraduate research courses, including CSCE 491H, require an application. Click the following link to find the general instructions for the application. (Update: you do not need to get approval from the honors office)
    • You can use this form.
  • Honors students in the CSCE track may request to use 3 hours of CSCE 491H to replace one of the non-tracked technical electives in the computer science (CPSC) degree plan, the open non-tracked area elective in the computer engineering (CECN) degree plan, or one of the prescribed electives in the Bachelor of Arts in computing (COMP) degree plan. This replacement requires prior approval on the degree plan.
  • Honors students in the CSCE track may request to use the second required semester of the 3 hours of CSCE 491H taken as part of the two-semester University Undergraduate Research Scholars program, which would replace the required capstone senior design course for their major (CSCE 482 for CPSC and COMP, CSCE 483 for CECN). This replacement is subject to the following restrictions:
    • Must have already completed all required lower-level coursework prior to the start of the semester.
      • CPSC major - Required classes up through 300-level (i.e., CSCE 315) and CSCE 411
      • CECN major - Required classes up through 300-level (i.e., CSCE 315 and ECEN 325) and CSCE 462
      • COMP major - Required classes up through 300-level (i.e., CSCE 315)
    • Must complete and deposit an honors thesis through University Research Scholars (URS) by the end of the semester.
    • Must complete a public presentation of their research by the end of the semester (as required for URS).
    • Must obtain permission for capstone substitution prior to the start of the semester (fill out this substitution permission form with the CSCE Undergraduate Advising Office).
    • In order to substitute for one of the capstone courses (which are designated as writing classes), the CSCE Undergrad Advising Office will require students to register for CSCE 491H(W). For the honors program, this still counts as CSCE 491H.
    • For students who have not satisfied all these criteria by the semester in which they write their thesis, but continue their research and take an additional 3 hours of CSCE 491 in a subsequent semester, they may usethose credits to substitute for capstone. However, by then they must have satisfied all the above criteria (including having completed all their lower-level coursework and deposited their thesis).