Skip To Main Content
Graduate student working on Dell laptop

Explore degrees available through the No. 1 online graduate program in Texas. Study online to earn the same quality degree as on campus.

Two students working on equations on a white board. One student pointing at a white board with eligible text, equations and diagrams while another closely observes
Get information on the application process and funding opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and transfer students. 
Ingenium Our blog by students, for students

Get inspired by experiences and opportunities shared by fellow engineering students.

Texas A&M University in the background with seven students with their thumbs up holding a sign that says Future Aggie Engineers and Engineering Texas A&M University
PK-12 Outreach Spark!
Students and organizations can bring hands-on activities or design challenges to your location or just visit as guest speakers.

Students must earn at least 18 hrs of Honors credits (undergraduate honors courses with HNR prefix or graduate courses) in courses from any Engineering or Science department.

The hours can consist of the following:

  • At least 12 hrs must be engineering credit
  • At most 3 hrs can come from Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory coursework
  • No more than 6 hrs of graduate courses
  • Between 4-6 hrs of research (ENGR 491H)**
  • No more than 2 hrs of Directed Studies (ENGR 485H)**
  • 1 hr of Engineering Honors Seminar (ENGR 181H)

Graduation requirements:

  • Earn a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher
    • Earn a GPA of 3.25 or higher in honors courses
  • Earn no grade lower than a B in the required honors courses
  • Receive no honor code violations

** Students can use no more than 6 hrs of research towards the total 18 hrs. Research credits can consist of 485H and/or 491H.

Track Requirements

Each track may have requirements that students will have to meet in place of or in addition to the General Requirements listed above.

To view each of the department track requirements please visit the Program Description page and click on the departments acronyms in the sidebar and then click the Requirements link.

Ways to Earn Honors Credit

Honors Courses

Students receive honors credits when enrolled in undergraduate honors courses designated by honors section numbers of 2XX.

  • Honors Undergraduate Research (291/491)
  • Directed/Independent Study (285/485)
  • Internship (284/484)

Applications for honors credit for such courses are due by the 12th class day of the semester. Honors credit will be applied to the student's transcript after final grades have posted.

If there is no existing honors section of a regular course, students can ask the professor teaching the course if they would be interested in teaching the course as a stacked honors course. If they agree, the department’s advising office would set up an honors section that is stacked with the regular version of the course, which students need to enroll in on or before the 12th day of class. The professor will modify the course so that students could receive honors credit by modifying the assignments, scheduling separate discussions, etc.

Honors Course Contracts

For courses outside of the College of Engineering (e.g., College of Science courses), students can earn honors credits for non-honors courses by working with the instructor to determine some alternate or additional assignments/activities to those listed by the instructor in the course syllabus; these activities should allow the student to emulate the experience of an honors course and should augment the course activities, not simply add to them.

Contract proposals should be developed by the student in consultation with the instructor, and must be approved by the following:

  • Course instructor
  • Department
  • University Honors Program

Applications for honors course contracts are due by the 12th class day of the semester. Honors credit is given at the end of the semester after the student has satisfactorily completed the activities described in the honors course contract application.

For non-departmental engineering courses (e.g., those with an ENGR course code such as ENGR 111/112, ENGR 181, etc.) and major-specific courses, request for an honors section through the department advising office.

Graduate Courses

Any graduate course taken at Texas A&M for undergraduate credit (i.e., applied to an undergraduate degree) will be considered as honors credit for honors students.

A maximum of 6 hours of graduate coursework can be counted towards the Engineering Honors distinction requirements, if taken for undergraduate credit. Graduate courses being reserved for graduate credit cannot be counted.

Students should contact their Track Coordinator for questions regarding taking graduate courses for honors credit.

Fast Track: Students participating in the fast track graduate program can receive honors credit for fast track courses they take, as those graduate courses replace courses required for their undergraduate degree. Contact your department’s advising office if you have questions regarding the Fast Track program.

*Note* AP credits do not count towards honors credit hours. Only courses taken at Texas A&M are counted.