- Reservoir simulation
- Uncertainty quantification
- Integrated reservoir characterization and management
- Project evaluation
- Unconventional resources
Awards & Honors
- 2015-2016 SPE Distinguished Lecturer
- Albert B. Stevens Chair Professor in Petroleum Engineering
- Distinguished Member, Society of Petroleum Engineers, 2007.
- ConocoPhillips Faculty Fellow, 2007.
- 2006 Practice Award from the Decision Analysis Society of the Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences (INFORMS) to Bickel, J.E., Gibson, R.L., McVay, D.A., Pickering, S.C., and Waggoner, J.R. for "WesternGeco Uses Decision Analysis to Communicate the Value of Seismic Surveys to Potential Clients.
- PhD, Petroleum Engineering, Texas A&M University, 1994
- MS, Petroleum Engineering, Texas A&M University, 1982
- BS, Petroleum Engineering, Texas A&M University, 1980
Liu, C.* and McVay, D.A. 2010. Continuous Reservoir Simulation Model Updating and Forecasting Improves Uncertainty Quantification. SPE Reservoir Evaluation & Engineering (accepted for publication with minor revisions)
Wang, J.Y.*, Holditch, S.A. and McVay, D.A. 2010. Modeling Fracture Fluid Cleanup in Tight Gas Wells. SPE Journal (accepted for publication).
Salazar, J.*, McVay, D.A. and Lee, W.J. 2010. Development of an Improved Methodology to Assess Potential Unconventional Gas Resources. Natural Resources Research (accepted for publication with only minor revisions).
Cheng, Y.*, Lee, W.J., and McVay, D.A. 2010. A New Approach for Computing Pressure Derivative in Well-test Analysis. Petroleum Science and Technology (accepted for publication).
Old, S.*, Holditch, S.A., Ayers, Jr., W.B. and McVay, D.A. 2010. PRISE Validates Resource Triangle Concept. SPE Economics & Management, Vol. 2, No. 1, pp. 51-60, April.
Cheng, Y.*, Wang, Y.*, McVay, D.A., and Lee, W.J. 2010. Practical Application of a Probabilistic Approach to Estimate Reserves Using Production Decline Data. SPE Economics & Management, Vol. 2, No. 1, pp. 19-31, April.
Cheng, Y.*, McVay, D.A., and Lee, W.J. 2009. A practical approach for optimization of infill well placement in tight gas reservoirs. Journal of Natural Gas Science and Engineering, Vol. 1, No. 6, pp. 165-176, December.
McVay, D.A., Bello, R.O.*, Ayers, Jr., W.B., Hernandez-A., G.*, Rushing, J.A., Ruhl, S. K., Hoffmann, M. F., and Ramazanova, R. I.* 2009. Evaluation of the Technical and Economic Feasibility of CO2 Sequestration and Enhanced Coalbed Methane Recovery in Texas Low-Rank Coals. in Grobe, M., J.C. Pashin, and R.L. Dodge, eds., Carbon Dioxide Sequestration in Geological Media – State of the Science: AAPG Studies in Geology #59, Ch. 41, p. 665-688.
Cheng, Y.*, Lee, W. J. and McVay, D.A. 2009. A New Approach for Reliable Estimation of Hydraulic Fracture Properties Using Elliptical Flow Data in Tight Gas Wells. SPE Reservoir Evaluation & Engineering, Vol. 12, No. 2, pp. 254-262, April.
Cheng, Y.*, Lee, W. J. and McVay, D.A. 2008. Quantification of Uncertainty in Reserve Estimation from Decline Curve Analysis of Production Data for Unconventional Reservoirs. J. of Energy Resources Tech, Vol. 130, No. 4, 6 pages, December.