Skip To Main Content

Texas A&M University's distance Master of Engineering in Computer Engineering degree is intended for students wanting to pursue graduate-level coursework remotely. Students enrolled in the Distance Education Degree Programs can only enroll in distance courses. We also offer an in-person Master of Engineering in computer engineering degree. 

The Master of Engineering in computer engineering (MEng) should be thought of as a professional terminal degree. This degree does not include a thesis, project or final examination. This is a STEM distance program.

For more information about our distance programs, please visit our frequently asked questions page.

Advisory Committee

Master of Engineering in computer engineering students will have a default advisory committee consisting solely of the graduate advisor as chair.

Degree Plan

Requirements for the Master of Engineering in Computer Engineering degree include:

  • At least 12 credit hours of graded computer science and engineering (CSCE) graduate coursework (excluding CSCE 681, 684, 685 and 691).
  • At least six credit hours of graded electrical and computer engineering (ECEN) graduate coursework that is not cross-listed with CSCE (excluding ECEN 681, 684, 685 and 691).
  • At least six credit hours of graded elective graduate coursework (excluding 681, 684, 685 and 691). This may include CSCE, ECEN or other approved graduate courses.
  • At most, one three-credit 400-level CSCE or ECEN undergraduate course approved by the graduate advisor. This course does not count toward the 12 hours of CSCE-graded graduate coursework.
  • One credit hour of CSCE 681 (Graduate Seminar). 
  • Up to three credit hours of CSCE 685 (Directed Studies).
  • A total of at least 30 credit hours satisfying the above requirements.

Courses That Cannot Be Used on Any Degree Plan:

  • In CSCE, we do not allow 601, 602, 603, 701, 705, 706, 707, 708 and 709.
  • In ECEN, we do not allow 714 and 749.
  • In STAT, we do not allow 624 and 654.
  • In MATH, we do not allow 679.
  • In CYBR, we do not allow 601.
  • Any course that contains material required of our undergraduate computer science (CPSC) or computer engineering majors.
  • CSCE undergraduate courses 481, 482, and 483.

Other Degree Plan Information

  • Texas A&M undergraduates who have taken 410 cannot use 611 on their degree plan. If the Texas A&M undergraduate receives an A in 410, they satisfy the Systems breadth requirement for the CPSC degrees.
  • Texas A&M undergraduates who have taken 431 cannot use 606 on their degree plan. Texas A&M undergraduates who receive an A in 431 satisfy the Software breadth requirement for the CPSC degrees.
  • Texas A&M undergraduates who have taken 420 cannot use 625 on their degree plan. This course is not stacked normally but overlaps by about two-thirds (2/3).
  • Texas A&M undergraduates who receive an A in 411 satisfy the Theory breadth requirement.
  • For stacked courses: If you have credit for an undergraduate class, you cannot get credit for the graduate class, except via Fast Track. When a graduate and undergraduate course is stacked, graduate students are required to take the graduate course in the stacked pair. If there are seats in the undergraduate section but not in the graduate section, you should contact the graduate advising office to request that seat be reallocated. Reallocation can be requested but will have to be approved. Not all reallocations may be able to be approved.
    • The common stacked pairs are:
      • 401/701 (always)
      • 402/702 (always)
      • 403/703 (always)
      • 410/611 (sometimes)
      • 413/713 (always)
      • 421/633 (always)
      • 433/627 (always)
      • 435/735 (sometimes) 
      • 440/640 (sometimes)
      • 445/656 (always)
      • 447/679 (always)
      • 451/652 (always)
      • 452/752 (always)
      • 463/612 (always)
      • 465/765 (sometimes)
      • 469/614 (always)
      • 477/703 (always)
  • Texas A&M undergraduates can receive credit for both courses in an undergrad/grad course pair under Fast Track.

For additional information and clarification, please see the graduate catalog and the department’s graduate program webpage.

View Current Program Requirements

How to Apply