Skip To Main Content

The Master of Science in Computer Engineering (MSCE) is a research degree. A thesis and final examination (thesis defense) are required. Students who complete the MSCE may file a letter of intent requesting admission to the Ph.D. program.

Advisory Committee

The MSCE advisory committee is like that of the Master in Computer Science degree with the additional requirement that the chair or a co-chair must be a member of the computer engineering faculty.

Degree Plan

The degree plan should be completed by the student in consultation with the chair and the advisory committee. Requirements for the MSCE degree include:

  • At least 12 credit hours of graded CSCE graduate coursework (excluding CSCE 681, 684, 685, 691).
  • At least six credit hours of graded ECEN graduate coursework that is not cross-listed with CSCE (excluding ECEN 681, 684, 685, 691).
  • At least six credit hours of graded elective graduate coursework (excluding 681, 684, 685 and 691). This may include CSCE, ECEN or other approved graduate courses.
  • At most, one three-credit 400–level CSCE or ECEN undergraduate course approved by the graduate advisor. This course does NOT count towards the 12 hours of CSCE graded graduate coursework.
  • Zero credit hour of CSCE 681 (Graduate Seminar).
  • Three to six credit hours of CSCE 691 (Research).
  • Up to three credit hours of CSCE 685 (Directed Studies). The combination of 685 and 691 cannot exceed six credit hours.
  • A total of at least 30 credit hours.

For additional information and clarification, please see the graduate catalog and the department’s graduate program webpages.