Skip To Main Content

Advisory Committee

The Ph.D. in computer engineering advisory committee is like that of the Ph.D. in computer science degree with the additional requirement that the chair or a co-chair must be a member of the computer engineering faculty. This is a STEM program.

Degree Plan

The degree plan should be completed by the student in consultation with the chair and the advisory committee. Requirements for the Ph.D. in computer engineering degree include:

  • At least 30 credit hours of graduated graduate coursework (excluding 681, 684, 685, 691).
  • At least 12 credit hours of graded CSCE graduate coursework (excluding CSCE 681, 684, 685, 691).
  • At least six credit hours of graded ECEN graduate coursework that is not cross-listed with CSCE (excluding ECEN 681, 684, 685, 691).
  • At least 12 credit hours of graded elective graduate coursework (excluding 681, 684, 685 and 691). This may include CSCE, ECEN or other approved graduate courses.
  • One to two credit hours of CSCE 681 (Graduate Seminar).
  • At least 18 credit hours of CSCE 691 (Research). Normally the number of CSCE 691 hours will be increased to meet the required total number of credit hours.
  • A total of at least 96 credit hours (or at least 64 credit hours if the student has a prior approved and related master’s degree).

Courses That Cannot Be Used on Any Degree Plan:

  • In CSCE, we do not allow 601, 602, 603, 701, 705, 706, 707, 708, 709.
  • In ECEN, we do not allow 714, 749.
  • In STAT, we do not allow 624 and 654.
  • In MATH, we do not allow 679.
  • In CYBR, we do not allow 601.
  • Any course that contains material required of our undergraduate computer science or computer engineering majors.

Other Degree Plan Information:

  • Texas A&M undergraduates who have taken 410 cannot use 611 on their degree plan. If the Texas A&M undergraduate receives an A in 410, they satisfy the Systems breadth requirement for the CPSC degrees.
  • Texas A&M undergraduates who have taken 431 cannot use 606 on their degree plan. Texas A&M undergraduates who receive an A in 431 satisfy the Software breadth requirement for the CPSC degrees.
  • Texas A&M undergraduates who have taken 420 cannot use 625 on their degree plan. This course is not stacked normally but overlaps by about two-thirds (2/3).
  • Texas A&M undergraduates who receive an A in 411 satisfy the Theory breadth requirement.
  • For stacked courses: If you have credit for an undergraduate class, you cannot get credit for the graduate class, except via Fast Track. When a graduate and undergraduate course is stacked, graduate students are required to take the graduate course in the stacked pair. If there are seats in the undergraduate section but not in the graduate section, you should contact the graduate advising office to request that seat be reallocated. Reallocation can be requested but will have to be approved. Not all reallocations may be able to be approved.
    • The common stacked pairs are:
      • 401/701 (always)
      • 402/702 (always)
      • 403/703 (always)
      • 410/611 (sometimes)
      • 413/713 (always)
      • 421/633 (always)
      • 433/627 (always)
      • 435/735 (sometimes) 
      • 440/640 (sometimes)
      • 445/656 (always)
      • 447/679 (always)
      • 451/652 (always)
      • 452/752 (always)
      • 463/612 (always)
      • 465/765 (sometimes)
      • 469/614 (always)
      • 477/703 (always)
  • Texas A&M undergraduates can receive credit for both courses in an undergrad/grad course pair under Fast Track.
  • Prerequisites listed for CSE graduate coursework are given to inform students of the knowledge they are expected to have to be successful in the graduate course. While the department does not block registration based on prerequisites for graduate courses, students are still responsible for ensuring they are prepared to meet course prerequisites. If students have concerns regarding preparation for a particular class, they should contact the instructor of the graduate course for more information regarding expectations.

CSCE 684 Hours:

  • Any international student who wishes to go on to do curricular practical training (CPT) must have one credit hour for each semester they are on the internship of CSCE 684 on their degree plan. Any CSCE 684 hours are in addition to the required total credit hours of the degree plan.
  • If you are an international student, we recommend you place at least one credit hour of CSCE 684 on your degree plan when you submit it. That way if you receive an internship offer, you will not be rushing to have 684 added to your degree plan.
  • Domestic students do not need to register when they are on an internship. However, if they are gone for a year without registering, they must apply for a leave of absence. Otherwise, they will need to reapply for admission.

For additional information and clarification, please see the graduate catalog and the department’s graduate program webpage.