Our graduate admissions process has changed.

As of Sept. 6, 2018, the graduate admissions process has changed. Details about the new process can be found on the graduate admissions page.

The Master of Computer Science (MCS) should be thought of as a professional, terminal degree. This degree does not include a thesis, project, or final examination.

Advisory Committee

MCS students will have a default advisory committee consisting solely of the Graduate Advisor as chair.

Degree Plan

Requirements for the MCS degree include:

  • At least 18 credit hours of graded CSCE graduate coursework (excluding CSCE 681, 684, 685, 691).
  • Three breadth CSCE courses, one selected from each of these sets: Theory (627, 629), Systems (605, 613, 614) and Software (604, 606, 655). These must be passed with a grade of B or better. These count toward the requirement of 18 hours of graded CSCE graduate coursework.
  • At most one approved three-credit 400–level CSCE undergraduate course. See Section 4.4. This course does NOT count towards the 18 hours of CSCE graded graduate coursework.
  • Up to 6 credit hours of non-CSCE graded graduate coursework (excluding 681, 684, 685, 691).
  • 1 credit hour of CSCE 681 (Graduate Seminar).
  • Up to 3 credit hours of CSCE 685 (Directed Studies).
  • A total of at least 30 credit hours satisfying the above requirements.

The major steps, and deadlines for completing them, required for the MCS degree is outlined in Section 4.3. Section 4.4 lists restrictions on the courses that can be used on the degree plan, as well as other common questions/issues. For additional information and clarification, please see the graduatuate catalog and the Department’s graduate program webpages.

View Current Program Requirements