Combustion, propulsion, shock waves, chemical kinetics, solid rocket propellants, laser diagnostics, spectroscopy, compressible flow, shock tubes, gas turbine combustion, fluid mechanics, aerosols, advanced additives, high-speed aerodynamics, and liquid rocket combustion.
Awards & Honors
- TEES Fellow Award (2011)
- Teaching Excellence Award (2010, 2011)
- ASME Fellow (2010)
- Faculty Fellow, Mary Kay O’Connor Process Safety Center (2010)
- Leland T. Jordan Career Development Professorship (2010-2012)
- Best Paper Award, 2008 ASME Turbo Expo (2009)
- Research Incentive Award, UCF (2007)
- Outstanding Researcher Award, Assistant Professor, CECS, UCF (2006)
- Teaching Incentive Program Award, UCF (2006)
- Pi Tau Sigma Professor of the Year, UCF (2003, 2005, 2006)
- NSF CAREER Award (2006-2011)
- Pi Tau Sigma Advisor of the Year, UCF (2004)
- Stanford University, Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering (1998)
- University of Florida, M.S., Mechanical Engineering (1990)
- University of Central Florida, B.S., Mechanical Engineering (1988)
O. Mathieu, F. Deguillaume, and E. L. Petersen, “Effects of H2S Addition on Hydrogen Ignition behind Reflected Shock Waves: Experiments and Modeling,” Combustion and Flame, 161:23-36, 2014.
B. Rotavera and E. L. Petersen, “Blending Effects on Ignition Delay Times of Methyl Octanoate/n-Nonane/Methylcyclohexane,” Fuel, 115:264-281, 2014.
B. Rotavera and E. L. Petersen, “Model Predictions of Higher-order Normal Alkane Ignition from Dilute Shock-tube Experiments,” Shock Waves, 23:345-359, 2013.
C. J. Aul, W. K. Metcalfe, S. M. Burke, H. J. Curran, and E. L. Petersen, “Ignition and Kinetic Modeling of Methane and Ethane Fuel Blends with Oxygen: a Design of Experiments Approach,” Combustion and Flame, 160:1153-1167, 2013.
C. H. Osorio, A. J. Vissotski, E. L. Petersen, and M. S. Mannan, “Effect of CF3Br on C1-C3 Ignition and Laminar Flame Speed: Numerical and Experimental Evaluation,” Combustion and Flame, 160:1044-1059, 2013.