Combustion and Energy Conversion, Optical Diagnostics and Imaging, Laser Spectroscopy, Ultrafast Lasers, Chemical Kinetics, Fluid Flow and Plasma Diagnostics, Supersonic and Hypersonic Propulsion, Gas Turbine Combustion and IC Engines.
Awards & Honors
- Fellow – American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME, 2014)
- Associate Fellow – American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA, 2012)
- Forty Under 40 Award - Dayton Business Journal (2013)
- Outstanding Technical Contribution Award - Dayton Section of ASME (2012)
- Invited Speaker - Gordon Research Conference on Laser Diagnostics in Combustion (2013, 2011)
- Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, Purdue University, 2006
- M.S., Mechanical Engineering, Texas A&M University, 2002
- B.Sc. (Hons), Mechanical Engineering, University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka, 2000
W. D. Kulatilaka, J. R. Gord, and S. Roy. “Femtosecond Two-photon LIF Imaging of Atomic Species using a Frequency-quadrupled Ti:sapphire Laser.” Applied Physics B. 116 (2014): 7-13.
W. D. Kulatilaka, J. R. Gord, V. R. Katta, and S. Roy. “Photolytic-interference-free, Femtosecond Two-photon Fluorescence Imaging of Atomic Hydrogen.” Optics Letters. 37 (2012): 3051-3053.
W. D. Kulatilaka, H. U. Stauffer, J. R. Gord, and S. Roy. “One-dimensional Single-shot Thermometry in Flames using Femtosecond-CARS Line Imaging.” Optics Letters. 36 (2011): 4182-4184.
W. D. Kulatilaka, P. S. Hsu, J. R. Gord, and S. Roy. “Point and Planar Ultraviolet Excitation/Detection of OH-radical Laser-induced Fluorescence (LIF) through Long Optical Fibers.” Optics Letters,. 36 (2011): 1818-1820.
W. D. Kulatilaka, J. H. Frank, B. D. Patterson, and T. B. Settersten. “Analysis of 205-nm Photolytic Production of Atomic Hydrogen in Methane Flames.” Applied Physics B. 97 (2009): 227-242.