Thermal Fluid Sciences – heat transfer and cooling in gas turbines, heat transfer enhancement, heat transfer in rotating flows, film cooling in unsteady high turbulence flows, mini-scale heat transfer, combustion system heat transfer, advanced CFD and experimental methods.
Energy and Power Technology – advanced hydrogen turbine for clean power, advanced gas turbine for aircraft propulsion and vehicle transportation, micro-turbine, clean and renewable energy technology.
Awards & Honors
- ASME K-14 Warren Rohsenow Prize for Best Presentation, November 13, 2007
- Distinguished Professor, Texas A&M University, September 2006-present
- ASME IGTI Certificate Award for Valued Service as Chair – Heat Transfer Committee, 2004-2006
- AIAA Thermophysics Award – June 29, 2004
- ISROMAC (International Symposium on Rotating Machinery) Award in Heat Transfer Category – March 9, 2004
- Sc.D. Mechanical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts 1976
- M.S. Mechanical Engineering, Lehigh University, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania 1973
- B.S. Mechanical Engineering, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan 1970
Li, S.J., Yang, S.F., and Han, J.C., “Effect of Coolant Density on Leading Edge Showerhead Film Cooling Using PSP Measurement Technique,” ASME Journal of Turbomachinery, 136: 051011, 2014.
Mhetras, S., Han, J.C., and Huth, M., “Impingement Heat Transfer from Jet Arrays on Turbulated Target Walls at Large Reynolds Numbers,” ASME Journal of Thermal Science and Engineering Applications, 6: 021003.1-021003.10, 2014.
Lee, M.S., Jeong, S.S., Ahn, S.W., and Han, J.C., “Turbulent Heat Transfer and Friction in Rectangular Convergent/Divergent Channels with Ribs on One Wall,” AIAA Journal of Thermophysics and Heat Transfer, 27(4): 660-667, 2013.
Han, J.C., “Fundamental Gas Turbine Heat Transfer,” ASME Journal of Thermal Science and Engineering Applications, Special Issue: 75th Anniversary Celebration of the Heat Transfer Division, 5: 021007.1-021007.15, 2013.
Gao, Z., Rhee, D.H., and Han, J.C., “Turbine Blade Trailing Edge Film Cooling Using PSP Technique,” International Journal of Transport Phenomena, 13(3): 193-205, 2013.