Skip To Main Content


Continuous Enrollment Rule

All students must be continuously enrolled (excluding summer) once all formal coursework has been completed on his/her degree plan. Students holding an assistantship must registered full-time in every term in which the student holds the position including summer (see next section). Failure to comply with this rule could result in suspension/dismissal from the university. 

Degree Level/Program Changes 

Degree level changes for domestic students must be made no later than the 12th class day in fall/spring and the 4th class day in summer. Degree level changes for international students must be made no later than the 12th class day in fall/spring and the 4th class day in summer. International students must work with ISS when making this change to ensure their immigration paperwork is in order. If students submit later than these deadlines, the requested change will not take effect until the following semester. 

Q-Drop Policy

Texas A&M University allows courses to be dropped after the official Drop/Add deadline using Q-Drop procedures. A Q-Drop allows the student to drop a course during the semester without academic penalty. Q-drop forms can be obtained from the academic advisor and online at the registrar’s office. Students must keep in mind that dropping below full-time enrollment can impact assistantships, fellowship, scholarships, international status, etc. Graduate students should be discouraged from Q-drops whenever possible. 

Miscellaneous Information 

Set up email address: All students will get a university email address, which they are expected to monitor for important correspondence from the department. Your NetID will be your username. 

Graduate Catalog: For a comprehensive source of all university rules as they pertain to graduate students, you may access the Graduate Catalog. Keep in mind that the information in the catalog represents the university minimum guidelines, and in some cases, BMEN has stricter policies. 

Health Insurance: Health Insurance will be included as a benefit for students who have departmental assistantships; however, that coverage will not begin until the first day of the month following 90 days of employment. Students may be required to contribute to the cost of insurance. Students should check with their personal insurance provider for specific coverage policies. Some insurance companies will allow students to remain on their parents’ policies if they are full-time students and under age 26. Other optional health insurance is available through Texas A&M University. Students employed in a graduate assistantship will have the opportunity to sign up for insurance when completing the required TEES/COE online orientation. 

International Student ServicesAll international students should review all policies related to international studies at Texas A&M University. Information related to the following can be found on this website: visa processing, I-20/DS-2019 processing, internship/work authorization, important deadlines, arrival information, health insurance and much more.

Parking: Parking permits are required to park on the TAMU campus. Parking permits can be purchased by logging in with your NetID and password.

Rules: Student Rules for Texas A&M University are broken down into three categories: Academic Rules, Student Life Rules, and Student Grievance Procedures.

Shuttle Service: The TAMU Department of Biomedical Engineering does collaborate with other departments on campus, some of which are located at the Vet School or the Medical School. Campus shuttles are available for students to get to these locations. There are also off-campus shuttle routes that run to various apartment complexes and stores around the Bryan/College Station area.

Sports Pass: TAMU has numerous varsity sports teams. Students can purchase a sports pass to attend these events without having to purchase individual tickets.

Student ID Cards: All students are required to have a student ID card before the start of classes. These cards are used for access to various departmental resources. The ID card office is located on the second floor of the General Services Complex. If you lose your card, replacements are available for a $5 fee. 

Tuition and Fees: Information can be found about tuition and fee details.