Awards & Honors
- Mindlin Lecture, Columbia University, 2015.
- Talbot Lecture, University of Illinois Urbana-Champagne, 2014.
- Frank Otto Distinguished Lecture, State University of New York at Stony Brook, 2013.
- Timoshenko Lecture, Stanford University, 2012.
- Distinguished Israel Pollack Lecturer, The Technion, Haifa, Israel, 2011.
- Honorary Professor, Dalian University of Technology (China), 2014.
- Texas A&M Institute of Advanced Study Faculty Fellow, Eminent Scholar in Residence, 2013.
- Timoshenko Medal, American Society of Mechanical Engineering, 2011.
- Member, American Academy of Arts & Sciences, 2007.
- Doctor Honoris Causa, Ecole Normale Superior de Cachan, France 2006.
- Drucker Medal, American Society of Mechanical Engineering, 2006.
- Doctor Technices Honoris Causa, The Technical University of Denmark, 2006.
- Prager Medal, Society of Engineering Science, 2006.
- Recognized by ISI (Science Citation Index) as a Highly Cited Author in both the fields of Engineering and Materials Science.
- Member, National Academy of Engineering, 2000.
- Fellow, American Academy of Mechanics, 1995.
- Honorary Member, MECAMAT (Groupe Français de Mecanique des Matériaux), 1991.
- Fellow, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 1989.
- John Simon Guggenheim Foundation Fellowship 1977
- Ph.D. Harvard University, 1971
- M.S. Harvard University, 1967
- B.S. University of Pennsylvania, 1966
A. Needleman, “Some Issues in Cohesive Surface Modeling,” Procedia IUTAM, 10, 221-246 (2014).
A. Srivastava, L. Ponson, S. Osovski, E. Bouchaud, V. Tvergaard, A. Needleman, “Effect of Inclusion Density on Ductile Fracture Toughness and Roughness,” J. Mech. Phys. Solids, 63, 62-79 (2014).
J.J.C. Remmers, R. De Borst, C.V. Verhoosel and A. Needleman, “The Cohesive Band Model: A Cohesive Surface Formulation with Stress Triaxiality,” International Journal of Fracture, 181, 177–188 (2013).
A. Srivastava and A. Needleman, “Void growth versus void collapse in a creeping single crystal.” Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, 61, 1169-1184 (2013).
V. Tvergaard and A. Needleman, "Effect of viscoplastic material parameters on polymer indentation." Modelling and Simulation in Materials Science and Engineering, 20, 065002 (2012).
A.E. Huespe, A. Needleman, J. Oliver, P.J. Sánchez, "A Finite Thickness Band Method for Ductile Fracture Analysis," Int. J. Plast., 25, 2349-2365 (2009).
A. Srivastava, S. Gopagoni, A. Needleman, V. Seetharaman, A. Staroselsky, R. Banerjee, "Effect of specimen thickness on the creep response of a Ni-based single crystal superalloy," Acta Mater., 60, 5697–5711 (2012).
J.J.C. Remmers, R. de Borst and A. Needleman, "A Cohesive Segments Method for the Simulation of Crack Growth," Comp. Mech., 31, 69-77, (2003).
L. Nicola, E. Van der Giessen and A. Needleman, "Discrete Dislocation Analysis of Size Effects in Thin Films," J. Appl. Phys., 93, 5920-5928 (2003).
M. Wallin, W.A. Curtin, M. Ristinmaa and A. Needleman, "Multi-Scale Plasticity Modeling: Coupled Discrete Dislocation and Continuum Crystal Plasticity," J. Mech. Phys. Solids, 56, 3167-3180 (2008).
V.S. Deshpande, A. Needleman and E. Van der Giessen, “Scaling of Discrete Dislocation Predictions for Near-Threshold Fatigue Crack Growth,” Acta Mater., 51, 4637-4651 (2003).