- Novel electric machines for different applications
- Condition monitoring and fault diagnosis of electric machinery
- Electric and Hybrid Electric Vehicles
- Electromechanical energy storage batteries
- Active power filters for power systems network
- Fuel cell operated electric motor drives
- Distributed Energy Systems; Wind Mills, Microturbines, Solar Power Plants
- Smart Grids and their components
- Auxiliary power generators
- Power converters for electric machines including multilevels
- Uninterruptible power supplies (UPS)
- Sensors and Sensorless electric motor drive and spindle motors
- DSP-based power electronics systems
- Simulation techniques such as finite elements analysis and Pspice and Saber.
- Consulting in related fields and serving as an expert witness
Awards & Honors
- IEEE Fellow
- IEEE Nikola Tesla Award
- Best Paper Second Prize Award, IEEE Industrial Electronics Society, Electrical Machine Technical Committee, IECON 2008.
- IEEE Industry Applications Society Executive Board, Member, Jan. 2008- Dec. 2009.
- Prize Paper Award, IEEE Power Engineering Society (PES), 2007.
- Prize Paper Award, IEEE Power Engineering Electric Machinery Committee, 2007.
- Patent and Innovation Award, Texas A&M University System Office of Technology Commercialization’s, 2007.
- TEES Fellow Award, Texas Engineering Experiment Station (TEES), $5000.0 prize award, Fall 2006.
- Third Prize Transactions Paper Award, IEEE Industry Applications Society, 2006.
- Professional Engineer, State of Texas , P.E. # 97974.
- Outstanding Professor Award, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Texas A&M University, $5000.0 prize award, Fall 2005.
- Cyrill Veinott Electromechanical Energy Conversion Award, IEEE Power Engineering Society, $5000 prize award, 2004.
- TEES Fellow Award, Texas Engineering Experiment Station (TEES), $5000.0 prize award, Fall 2004.
- Editor, IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, 2001-present.
- Distinguished Achievement Award, in recognition of distinguished achievements in teaching, Association of Former Students, Texas A&M University , Fall 2003, $2000 prize award.
- E.D. Brockett Professorship Award, Texas Engineering Experiment Station (TEES), $4000.0 prize award, 2002-2003.
- Appeared on People’s Agenda talk show of KERA 90.1 Dallas/Fort Worth/ Denton on “Fuel Cell Research and other Aspects of Automotive Research,” January 7, 2003, 10:00 AM-11:00 AM.
- Member of Editorial Board, The Institution of Engineering and Technology, Electric Power Applications, United Kingdom, Sep. 2007 – present.
- Schlumberger Foundation Technical Awards, $25,000 prize award, April 2001.
- Eugene E. Webb’43 Faculty Fellow Award, Texas Engineering Experiment Station (TEES), , $5000.0 prize award, for “Overall contribution to the Engineering Program including classroom instruction, scholarly activities and professional service”, 2000-2001.
- Select Young Investigator Award, Texas Engineering Experiment Station (TEES), $5000.0 stipend, 1999.
- Schlumberger Foundation Technical Awards, $30,000.0 prize award, April 2000.
- Space Act Award by NASA Inventions and Contributions Board, $250.0 prize award, April 1999.
- Prize Paper Award, Electric Machinery Committee of the IEEE Power Engineering Society, Best Transactions paper, 1996.
- Ph.D., University of Wisconsin-Madison, May 1991
- MS, West Virginia University, May 1986
- BS, Sharif University of Technology, Iran, May 1982
DSP-Based Electromechanical Motion Control, CRC Press, Florida , 2003, 344 pages.
Handbook of Electric Motors, 2nd Edition, Marcel Dekker, New York , 2004, 805 pages.