- Electric Power Engineering
- Power System Protection
- Control and Automation of Power Systems
- Energy Systems and Energy Public Policy
- Forensic Engineering
- Engineering Ethics
- Engineering Professionalism
Awards & Honors
- National Academy of Engineering Member
- IEEE Fellow
- National Society of Professional Engineers Fellow
- National Academy of Forensic Engineers Fellow
- National Academy of Inventors Fellow
- Institution of Engineering and Technology Fellow
- CIGRÉ Distinguished Member
- Past President, IEEE Power and Energy Society
- Vice President, USNC International Council on Large Electric Systems (CIGRÉ)
- Meritorious Service Award, Power and Energy Society, 2006
- IEEE Millennium Medal, 2000
- Past Chair, NAE Electric Power and Energy Engineering Section
- Distinguished Achievement Award in Research, Association of Former Students, Texas A&M University
- IEEE Herman Halperin Electric Transmission and Distribution Technical Field Award
- IEEE Electrotechnology Transfer Award
- R&D 100 Award for the Development of the Digital Feeder Monitor
- Outstanding Engineering Achievement Award, National Society of Professional Engineers
- The Academy of Medicine, Engineering and Science of Texas (TAMEST), Charter Member
- Holds 15 US patents; multiple foreign patents
- Ph.D., Electrical Engineering, University of Oklahoma, 1975
- M.E., Electrical Engineering, Texas A&M University, 1971
- B.S., Electrical Engineering, Texas A&M University, 1970
Detection of Downed Conductors on Utility Distribution Systems, IEEE PES Tutorial Course, Course Text No. 90EH0310-3-PWR, IEEE Press.
Wischkaemper, J. A., Benner, C. L., Russell, B. D., and Manivannan, K., “Online Assessment of Capacitor Banks Using Circuit Health Monitoring Technology”, Proceedings of CIGRE USNC Grid of the Future Symposium, Houston, TX, October 19-21, 2014.
Wischkaemper, J. A., Benner, C. L., Russell, B. D., and Manivannan, K., “Wildfire Mitigation Through Advanced Monitoring: State of Texas Demonstration Project”, Proceedings of CIGRE USNC Grid of the Future Symposium, Houston, TX, October 19-21, 2014.
Wischkaemper, J. A., Benner, C. L., Russell, B. D., and Manivannan, K., “Automated Power System Waveform Analytics for Improved Visibility, Situational Awareness, and Operational Efficiency.” CIGRE USNC Grid of the Future Symposium, October 2013.
Risk through the Use of Advanced Electrical Waveform Monitoring Analytics.” CIGRE USNC Grid of the Future Symposium, October 2013.
Benner, C.L., Russell, B.D. “Intelligent Systems for Improved Reliability and Failure Diagnosis in Distribution Systems,” IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, Vol. 1, No. 1, June 2010, pp. 48-56.
Russell, B.D., “Educating the Workforce for the Modem Electric Power System; University-Industry Collaboration,” National Academy of Engineering of the National Academies, The Bridge, Spring 2010, pp. 35-41.
Babrauskas, V., Fleming, J.M., Russell, B.D. “RSET/ASET, a Flawed Concept for Fire Safety Assessment,” Journal of Fire Sciences, Fire Mater, 14 April 2010, pp. 341-355.
Russell, B.D., Benner, C.L., Cheney, R.M., Wallis, C.F., Anthony, T.L., Muston, W.E., “Reliability Improvement of Distribution Feeders through Real-Time, Intelligent Monitoring,” Proceedings of the IEEE Power and Energy Society General Meeting, Calgary, Alberta, Canada, July 27, 2009.
Benner, C.L., Russell, B.D. “Automated Fault Analysis Using an Intelligent Monitoring System,” Proceedings of 62nd Annual Conference for Protective Relay Engineers, College Station, Texas, March 30 – April 2, 2009.