Engineering Honors FAQ

  • Engineering Honors Questions for Incoming Freshman Down-arrow

    Engineering Honors Questions for Incoming Freshman 

    • Can I participate in both Engineering Honors and University Honors?Down-arrow

      Absolutely. You may count all honors courses toward both distinctions. The university program requires that the students live in the Honors housing during the freshman year and has an early application deadline (usually in early December). More information is available on their website.

    • Can I participate in both Engineering Honors and the honors program for a particular department?Down-arrow

      Yes, we encourage you to also apply to other department’s honors program (for example, Mathematics). You can also participate in any combination of the university, college level or department level honors programs. Each program has separate requirements and applications. Starting in 2015, the Engineering Honors programs has implemented department tracks where a student who enters a particular major automatically becomes part of the Engineering Honors track for the department that the major is part of.

    • Do I have to live in an Honors dorm?Down-arrow

      No, Engineering Honors does not require you to live in an Honors or engineering specific dorm. However, many of our students choose one of these options. The university Honors program requires that freshmen live in the Honors housing.

    • Are Honors courses harder?Down-arrow

      The courses are not harder or more work, but rather are more interesting and engaging as there is more opportunity to apply the concepts taught in class. There are also more opportunities to interact with the instructor, due to smaller class sizes (around 20-25 for most classes), and to work with more engaged and high achieving classmates on group projects.

      The best professors, who are interested in working with honor students, are assigned to teach the courses.

    • Where can I apply for merit based scholarship?Down-arrow

      Students applying for scholarships must first indicate their interest in Apply Texas. For more information regarding scholarships click here.

      For National Scholars scholarships, applicants must make Texas A&M their first choice. For more information on National Scholars scholarships click here.

    • As an incoming freshman starting my first semester, what honors courses would you recommend?Down-arrow

      We suggest the following courses:

      -ENGR 111 - honors sections have fewer students (approx 50% of the class size of the regular section) and have different (more interesting) projects than the non-honors section, with the workload being the same.

      -ENGR 181 - a 1 hour seminar class graded S/U (satisfactory / unsatisfactory) which covers topics that will help you plan your undergraduate studies and get the most out of your time here. It will also allow you to meet other students in EH.

  • Engineering Honors Questions for Current StudentsDown-arrow

    Engineering Honors Questions for Current Students 

    • Advising MeetingsDown-arrow

      Advising Meetings 

      • How do I report my advising meeting with the EH Program Director or Track Coordinator?Down-arrow

        EH Scholars must self-report their advising meeting with the EH Program Director or Track Coordinator on eCampus. Use the instructions below to help!

        1. Log into eCampus

        2. Look under the "My Organizations" tab

        3. Select "Engineering Honors Community (2017-2018)"

        4. Click the Content folder on the left hand side of the page

        5. Find the assignment entitled "Advisor_Meeting_S18"

        6. Enter the date and the name of your Track Coordinator in the assignment text entry field

        7. Press Submit

    • Earning Honors CreditDown-arrow

      Earning Honors Credit 

      • How do I earn honors credits?Down-arrow

        Honors credits can be earned in multiple ways:

        Honors Courses: Students receive Honors credits when enrolled in undergraduate Honors courses designated by Honors section numbers of 2XX. Ideally, these courses will be stand-alone courses, but they can also be stacked with non-Honors sections of the course.

        Honors Undergraduate Research(291/491), Independent Study (285/485) or Internship (284/484) Courses: Honors credit can be received for undergraduate research, independent study, or internship courses. Applications for Honors credit for such courses are due by the 12th class day of the semester. Honors credit will be applied to the student’s transcript after final grades have posted.

        Honors Course Contracts: For courses outside of the College of Engineering (e.g., College of Science courses), students can earn Honors credits for non-Honors courses by working with the instructor to determine some alternate or additional assignments/activities to those listed by the instructor in the course syllabus; these activities should allow the student to emulate the experience of an Honors course and should augment the course activities, not simply add to them. The proposal should be developed by the student in consultation with the instructor, and then must be approved by the instructor, the department and then by the University Honors Program. Applications for Honors Course Contracts are due by the 12th class day of the semester. Honors credit is given at the end of the semester after the student has satisfactorily completed the activities described in the Honors Course Contract application. For non-departmental engineering courses (e.g., those with an ENGR course code such as ENGR 111/112, ENGR 181, etc.) and major-specific courses, request for an honors section through the department advising office.

        Graduate Courses: Any graduate course taken at Texas A&M for undergraduate credit (i.e., applied to an undergraduate degree) will be considered as Honors credit for Honors Students. Additionally, students can receive Honors credit for up to 6 hours of graduate courses registered for graduate credit (i.e., that are reserved to be applied to a graduate degree and would not be applied to an undergraduate degree); note that students participating in the FastTrack graduate program can receive honors credit for all FastTrack courses they take, as those graduate courses replace courses required for their undergraduate degree.

      • How do I look for honors sections on Howdy?Down-arrow

        In Howdy, choose the desired semester. Choose a subject and then highlight “Honors” in the list of Attribute Types in the Advanced Search section. All honors courses for that subject will appear.

      • Can any class become an honors class?Down-arrow

        Any class can have a separate stacked honors section. The process is the same as creating a separate section with a number 2XX, and informing the registrar that the class needs the HNR attribute. There is no minimum enrollment since the enrollment numbers are accumulated with the enrollment of the non-honors section(s). To control enrollment, the capacity can be set to 0, so that the advisor can be the one to enroll the student in the section.

      • As a student, how do I get honors credit in a regular or non-honors course?Down-arrow

        A student needs to approach the professor of the class he/she is interested in getting honors credit for and see if they are willing to set up an “honors” arrangement. If the professor agrees, then they can modify the course so that the student can get honors credit, for example by replacing one or more of the assignments or projects with something that would be more interesting or deeper. These modifications should not result in more work, but should just be different and more engaging. The department’s advising office would set up an honors section that is stacked with the regular version of the course, which the student needs to enroll in on or before the 12th day of class.

      • What are stacked courses?Down-arrow

        Instead of stand-alone honors sections, you can stack honors sections with non-honors sections. Professor prepares different assignments and/or instruction for honors vs. non-honors students.

      • How can I file a Force Request into Honors classes?Down-arrow

        Force Requests are controlled by the respective departments. A student must contact the department to ask for an override and/or faculty to ask for an override. The student must follow the force request process for the particular department.

      • Who is able to register for honors courses?Down-arrow

        Regardless of whether the student applies to Eng Honors or not, the student can be eligible to register for open seats in Honors sections if they meet the following criteria: 1) they have a 3.5+ TAMU GPR or, 2) if they were eligible to register for Honors sections as a first-semester freshmen based on class rank and test scores (they can register after the last New Student Conference)

      • How do I know if I have priority registration?Down-arrow

        Current students need to check their registration time each semester and notify the Engineering Honors office by emailing, at least 2 weeks before the start of priority registration to allow the offices invovled to resolve any issues, otherwise the registration issue may not be resolved in time for registration.

      • When should I take ENGR-181 and other seminar courses?Down-arrow

        ENGR 181 is recommended for the the freshman year. Other honors seminar courses recommended by your department may be available to be taken during the junior year, preferably after completion of ENGR 181; although this is not a strict pre-requisite, thus these higher level seminar courses can be taken first or it can be taken anytime before graduation.

      • Rules regarding Q-dropping ENGR 181Down-arrow

        The state mandates that students can Q-drop a maximum of 6 courses; TAMU allows students to Q-drop a maximum of 4 courses. Dropping a 1-hour seminar like ENGR 181 would NOT count against the TAMU 4-course maximum, but would count against the state's 6-course maximum. You would not waste a Q-drop on it if you remain at Texas A&M, but it may affect you if you transfer to a different university with a different Q-drop policy.

      • What if I do not meet any of the EH requirements?Down-arrow

        EH Scholars who fail to meet any of these requirements will be given a semester of probation to correct any deficiencies. During the semester of probation, priority registration will not be available (for pre-registration for the following semester). A student can still register for honors courses through their department advising office. Students who fail to meet requirements after a semester of probation will be dismissed from the program.

        To allow incoming freshman time to adjust to a new academic environment, students who join EH as incoming freshmen will not be placed on probation due to a GPA deficiency in their first semester; however, if the GPA deficiency remains after the second regular semester (Fall or Spring), then they will be on probation for their third semester.

      • What factors would lead to a freshman being held on probation?Down-arrow

        Freshmen get a grace period of one year before being placed in probation. For example, for a freshman who started in the Fall and has a GPA below 3.5 in the Spring semester of his/her Freshman year, he/she will be on probation in the Fall of the following academic year, which means no priority registration for the following spring. In the spring, the student can still register for honors but will not have early priority registration.

      • Can Graduate courses be used for Fast Track?Down-arrow

        Graduate courses can count for Fast Track. These courses can double count these grad classes for both undergraduate and graduate level. Most MS programs require 8 classes + thesis, thus with Fast Track a student will be left with a balance of 5 or 6 courses. Student should decide before taking 400 level courses, so that they can take graduate courses in lieu of 400 level courses. Students can start FAST track even if the student decides not to pursue grad study at Texas A&M. They can always transfer graduate credits to another institution. The Undergraduate research project/thesis can be used as starting point for Graduate project/thesis. Fast Track is open to all students who meet the GPA requirements, whether they are in honors or not: See below for an example of the Fast Track Program for Biomedical Engineering TITLE: Accelerated Masters program (i.e., Fast Track) for Biomedical Engineering Key characteristics of the program: 1. Students are allowed to take 9 hours of graduate courses in their senior year (or if they have achieved at least 90 cumulative credit hours). 2. Assuming that they make a grade of C or better, they can use the undergraduate equivalent of the course in their Undergraduate Degree plan. Likewise, they can apply these courses for graduate credit in their Graduate Degree plan upon acceptance to the Fast Track program. The student is required to accomplish additional paperwork to allow the use of a course for dual credit (i.e., satisfy both undergraduate and graduate requirements). 3. Requirements for acceptance to the Fast Track program is at least a 3.5 CGPA, classified as a senior or has cumulative credit hours of at least 90 hours. Participation in this program allows a student to achieve both an Undergraduate and Graduate degree in 5 years or less, depending on the number of credit hours they take each semester.

      • Can graduate courses count for honors credit?Down-arrow

        When UG students take graduate courses they must designate whether this will be reserved for graduate credit or used for their undergraduate program. They can receive honors credit for the course under both options. To count as an undergraduate Honors course, the student has to do credit by exam.

      • How will grades be affected if the student does not complete the honors work but completes the "regular" coursework?Down-arrow

        Grading is up to the professor and should be clearly noted in the syllabus. The same goes for honors course contracts, where the professor has to explain in the honors contract paperwork how the student’s performance in the contract will affect their grade. Possible outcomes are: -If the student doesn't do the honors work at all, or does it poorly, he/she shouldn't get honors credit and his/her grade in the regular version of the course will be negatively affected. -Honors work will not affect the student’s grade. If the student does not complete the Honors work, they will not receive honors credit. -Honors work will count for x% of the course grade, with the other grade categories reduced proportionally. -Honors work will be weighted the same as regular course work as described in the syllabus, but will be evaluated with a higher standard as described in the plan of study.

      • How do I convert a regular math or science course to honors?Down-arrow

        Honors hours for regular courses conducted by other colleges aside from Engineering can be earned through the honors contract mechanism. These contracts must be set up early in the semester, by the 12th day of class. An honors contract involves the student working with the professor to enhance a non-honors course into one which provides an honors level experience. For example, projects or assignments may be modified to serve this purpose. For more information, see the link: For engineering courses, you can request for an honors section through the department advising office.

      • What do I receive if I complete the EH requirements by the time of graduation?Down-arrow

        Students who complete the EH requirements will receive a certificate of completion and a notation on their permanent transcript. Since EH is a college-level distinction, students with multiple majors in engineering will only receive one notation on their transcript, even if they satisfy the EH requirements for multiple majors; also, students with multiple majors will receive the distinction if they satisfy the requirements for at least one of their majors.