Chair and advisor are used interchangeably; they are the same person.

Your degree plan MUST be submitted during your second semester. Those who wait until the end of the semester risk being block by the Office of Graduate and Professional Studies (OGAPS) office. End result is you will not be able to register.

Do NOT email OGAPS requesting the hold be lifted. Degree plans must be submitted through your committee and approved before OGAPS block is removed. 

Click on this active link for: DEGREE PLAN STEPS 

The steps will guide you about creating a committee for your master of engineering degree program. Keep in mind that all PE students are requesting the same professors to serve on their committee.  They will consider those closely related to their field. 

Degree plan suggestions:  PDF Download Link (20KB) These are suggestions for you to discuss with your advisor as you both create your degree plan.

Sample degree plansPDF Download Link (20KB) Creating your degree plan shall be done with your Chair.

Changes to degree plans: Any changes needed to your degree plan, you will need to do a petition through the document processing submission system located on the OGAPS.

Go to: and click on Forms and Information. Under Academic Process Forms, click on Document Processing Submission System to file any petitions for course/member/degree/committee changes.


When submitting the degree plan it will say: exceeded the number of hours.  

ADD JUSTIFICATION: "the department requires 36 credit hours for M. Engr."


It is okay to deviate away from your original degree plan.

Recommended: all course changes should be made either semester prior to, or semester of, your graduating semester UNLESS you are getting financial aid. 

FINANCIAL AID: The semester courses must match the degree plan; if not, financial aid will not pay.

Therefore, be sure to submit a degree plan, prior to start of classes, IF you are taking a course not listed on your degree plan. Make changes and get all approved BEFORE the start of the semester.