Many students receive funding as either teaching assistants (TA) or research assistants (RA). The assistantships cover monthly stipend, health insurance, and tuition.

Every student is automatically considered for teaching assistantships if he/she is a native English speaker or has passed the ELPE exam.  

For research assistantships, students should contact the Ocean Engineering Faculty members they are interested in working with directly. Research assistantships are available on a competitive basis, and depend on the current research funding of the faculty.  

Additionally, exceptional students are considered for department fellowships. As a general rule, most Master of Science and Ph.D. students are funded by the end of their first year of graduate school.