Skip To Main Content

General Questions

Q. How can I contact an advisor?

Our advising page lists the contact information for all of our advisors.

Q. Do I need to make an appointment to see an advisor?

The undergraduate advisors have walk-ins hours and appointments each week. If you have several questions, we suggest that you schedule an appointment. Available walk-in times and information on scheduling an appointment can be found on our  Undergraduate Advising page.

Q. How do I know what classes to take each semester?

Follow your degree plan for your respective catalog to see what classes to take.

Q. How do I apply for graduation?

Go to the Howdy Portal. Under the 'My Record' tab, select the 'Application for Graduation' link in the Degree Evaluation channel.

Q. Where do I send my transcript or how do I order a transcript from Texas A&M?

View Transcripts Information

Q. What if I want to dispute a grade?

View Student Rules on Grade Disputes

Undergraduate Questions

Q. How and when do I order books?

Textbooks may be purchased or reserved while you are on campus during your New Student Conference. Please visit the MSC Bookstore's table at Resource Tables during your New Student Conference to obtain a textbook reservation form or reserve on-line.

Q. How do I add or remove a minor?

You may contact the ECEN UG advisors to add a minor in Math or Business. You must speak with the respective department and receive written approval to add any other minors. Texas A&M students can declare up to two minors.

Q. How can I get "forced" into a class in another department on campus?

Contact the respective department directly.

Q. How do I accept AP credits?

You must accept any AP credits before applying for graduation. For all other courses, you should accept AP credit only if it will substitute for something on your degree plan. You cannot go back and deny acceptance of AP credit once you accept it. Students can select the "Credit by Examination" link in Howdy in the Grades and Transcripts channel on the My Record tab. You will be taken to a screen that informs you of the exams awaiting a course credit decision. You will be advised you must consult your Advisor prior to accepting credit. Once an eligible exam is selected, you will see for which TAMU courses you can be awarded credit. When you select a course for credit, you will be instructed the decision cannot be reversed, per TAMU Student Rule 8.4. Any questions regarding testing and acceptance of credit should be directed to Data and Research Services at

Q. Who processes Q-drops?

The ECEN Undergraduate Advising Office processes Q-drops for undergraduate ECEN students. Forms submitted to the advising office after the deadline will not be processed.

Q. What is the Residency Requirement?

University regulations require that every student must complete 36 hours of 300-400 level coursework in residence at Texas A&M to complete a baccalaureate degree; 12 of those hours must be in the major.

Q. How does pre-registration work?

Go to the Howdy Portal, click the tab for the current semester, click on 'Registration' and your sign-up time will be listed. During your assigned registration period, you may register for a maximum of 17 hours for the fall and spring semesters and 6 hours for each summer term. If you miss or do not complete your pre-registration during your assigned 48 hours, you will have to wait for open registration.

Q. How do I know if a course at another institution is an equivalent to an A&M course?

Use the Texas Common Course Numbering System to see if your courses are comparable to those at A&M, or use the Texas A&M Transfer Course Equivalency web site. 

Q. What are student rules regarding grading?

View Student Rules on Grading

Q. Where can I find information on the excess credit hour rule?

View the Excess Credit Hour Rule

Q. How can I use the computers in the open access labs?

When you are enrolled in any ECEN course, you will automatically be assigned a Novell account to log into the open access labs. All information about labs can be found here

Q. How can I find out information about what's going on in the department?

Visit the advising organization in eCampus. You can find information on your degree requirements, study abroad, scholarships, undergraduate research, honors, internships, co-ops, etc. ECEN students are also emailed ECEN Weekly Updates which include information such as important deadlines, internship and job opportunities, scholarship opportunities, and academic support.

Q. What kind of computer should I buy?

Students new to the Texas A&M College of Engineering are required to purchase a preconfigured device designated by the college. If you have yet to purchase a computer, you are strongly encouraged to purchase from our list of recommended and supported devices. View more information on Bring Your Own Device.

Q. What kind of calculator do I need?

Any scientific calculator is OK for freshmen.