- 3D Reservoir modeling and characterization
- Upscaling of geologic models for flow simulation
- Streamline-based simulation and flow analysis
Awards & Honors
- 2015 Energistics RESQML SIG 25 Year Volunteer Recognition Award
- 2014 Karen and Larry A. Cress '76 Excellence in Teaching faculty award
- 2013 SPE Distinguished Member Award
- 2011 SPE Reservoir Description and Dynamics Award
- PhD, Physics, Syracuse University, Syracuse, New York 1980
- MS, Physics, Syracuse University, Syracuse, New York 1977
- BS, Physics and mathematics (summa cum laude), Cooper Union, New York, NY 1976
“Streamline Simulation: Theory and Practice”, SPE Textbook #11 (2007) (With Akhil Datta-Gupta)
"Application and Analysis of a New Method for Calculating Tensor Permeability" in 'New Developments in Improved Oil Recovery,' ed H J de Haan, Geological Society Special Publication 84, Geologica l Society Publications, Bath, UK (1995).
"Rapid Evaluation of the Impact of Heterogeneity on Miscible Gas Injection" in 'New Developments in Improved Oil Recovery,' ed H J de Haan, Geological Society Special Publication 84, Geologica l Society Publications, Bath, UK (1995) (with M J Blunt, M Mansfield, M A Christie).
“Viscous Fingering and Probabilistic Simulation,” in “Numerical Simulation in Oil Recovery” Vol. 11, 161-176, IMA Volumes in Mathematics and its Applications, Springer Verlag (1988).
“Full Field Streamline Tracing in Complex Faulted Systems With Non-Neighbor Connections," SPE 113425, SPE Journal, Volume 15, Number 1 (March 2010) (with Eduardo Jimenez and Akhil Datta-Gupta).
“Spatial Error and Convergence in Streamline Simulation,” SPE Reservoir Evaluation & Engineering, Volume 10, Number 3, pp. 221-232 (June 2007) (with Eduardo Jimenez, Kamran Sabir, and Akhil Datta-Gupta)
“Recent Advances in Upgridding” in Oil & Gas Science and Technology - Rev. IFP, Vol. 62, No. 2, pp. 195-205 (2007).
“A Rigorous Compressible Streamline Formulation for Two- and Three-Phase Black-Oil Simulation,” SPE Journal, Volume 11, Number 4, pp. 407-417 (December 2006) (with Hao Cheng, Ichiro Osako, and Akhil Datta-Gupta)
“Optimal Coarsening of 3D Reservoir Models for Flow Simulation,” SPE Reservoir Evaluation & Engineering, Volume 24, Number 10, pp. 317-334 (August 2006) (with Karam S. Burn, Pengju Wang, Venkataramanan Muralidharan, Freddy Alvarado, Xianlin Ma and Akhil Datta-Gupta)
“Timestep Selection During Streamline Simulation Through Transverse Flux Correction,” SPE Journal, Volume 9, Number 4, pp. 450-464 (December 2004) (with Ichiro Osako and Akhil Datta-Gupta)