- Phase behavior of multi-component fluids in nanoporous materials
- Shale gas and oil resource assessment and characterization
- CO2-enhanced shale gas and oil recovery
- Transport and reactions in porous media
Awards & Honors
- Flotek Industries, Inc. Career Development Professor, January 1, 2016
- TAMU College of Engineering William Keeler Faculty Fellow Award, May 4, 2015
- AIME Rossiter W. Raymond Memorial Award, 2014
- TAMU Petroleum Engineering Department Award for Excellence in Teaching, May 9, 2014
- George & Joan Voneiff Career Development Professor, March 19, 2014
- SPE Distinguished Lecturer Award, 2014-15
- SPE “A Peer Apart” Honorary Award, 2012
- SPE Mid-Continent North America Region Faculty Travel Award, 2010
- SPE Outstanding Service Awards, 2008, 2009, 2010
- University of Southern California, School of Engineering Outstanding Service Award, 1997
- Petroleum Engineering Honor Society, ΠΕΤ, Distinguished Service Award, 1996
- University of Southern California, Jackling Engineering Award, 1994
- Woodruff Petroleum Scholarship, 1994
- Kallam-Floyd Petroleum Engineering Grant, 1994
- 2002 Ph.D. Petroleum Engineering, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, USA
- 1995 M.S. Petroleum Engineering, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, USA
- 1992 B.S. Chemical Engineering, Hacettepe University, Ankara, Turkey
Bui, K., Akkutlu, I.Y. 2015. Nanopore Wall Effect on Surface Tension of Methane. Journal of Molecular Physics, http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00268976.2015.1037369.
Akkutlu, I.Y. Efendiev, Y., and Savatorova, V. 2015. Multi-scale Asymptotic Analysis of Gas Transport in Shale Matrix. Journal of Transport in Porous Media. Volume 107 (1), 235-260.
Fathi E. and Akkutlu, I.Y. 2014. Multi-component Gas Transport and Adsorption Effects during CO2 Injection and Enhanced Shale Gas Recovery. International Journal of Coal Geology, Special Issue on Adsorption and Transport Phenomena in Gas Shale and Their Effects on Production and Storage. Volume 123 52-61.
Santos, J.M. and Akkutlu, I.Y. 2013. Laboratory Measurement of Sorption Isotherm under Confining Stress with Pore Volume Effects. SPE Journal, Volume 18 (5) 924-931.
Sigal, R.F., Akkutlu, I.Y., Kang, S.M., Diaz-Campos, M., and Ambrose, R.J. 2013. The Laboratory Measurement of Gas Storage Capacity of Organic Shales. Journal of Petrophysics, Volume 54 (3).
Akkutlu, I.Y. 2013. A Brief Conversation with Henry Carey of Philadelphia. SPE Journal Executive Summary, Volume 18 (2) 194-195
Fathi E., and Akkutlu, I.Y. 2013. Lattice Boltzmann Method for Simulation of Shale Gas Transport in Kerogen. SPE Journal, Volume 18 (1), 27-37
Akkutlu, I.Y., Fathi E. 2012. Multi-scale Gas Transport in Shales with Local Kerogen Heterogeneities. SPE Journal, Volume 17 (4), 1002-1011.
Fathi E., Ousseini Tinni, A., and Akkutlu, I.Y. 2012. Correction to Klinkenberg Slip Theory for Gas Flow in Nano-capillaries. International Journal of Coal Geology, special issue on Shale, Vol. 103, 51-59.
Ambrose, R.J., Hartman, R.C., Diaz-Campos, M., Akkutlu, I.Y., and Sondergeld, C.H. 2012. Shale Gas in-place Calculations Part I - New Pore-scale Considerations. SPE Journal. Volume 17 (1) 219-229.(Top most downloaded article on the SPE website in May 2012)