- Heavy Oil and Oil Shale Recovery with Enhanced Oil Recovery Methods
- In-Situ Combustion
- Hot Fluid Injection; Steam/hot water/hot gas Flooding, Steam Assisted Gravity Drainage (SAGD), Cyclic Steam Injection (CC)
- Chemical/Thermal EOR applications: Solvent flooding, Solvent-steam injection, Solvent-SAGD, Surfactant flooding, Surfactant-steam injection, Surfactant-SAGD
- Thermal Stimulation: Electrical, Microwave, and Radio Frequency heating
- Diagnostic Studies on Reservoir Rock and Fluids
- X-Ray computed tomography, X-Ray diffraction (XRD), Fourier transform infrared (FTIR), Scanning electron microscopy (SEM), and X-Ray photoelectron spectroscopy (XPS)
- Analyze reaction kinetics with thermogravimetric analysis (TGA) and differential scanning calorimetry (DSC)
- Produced Water Management
Awards & Honors
- Stephen A. Holditch Faculty Fellow 2015
- SPE Innovative Teaching Award, 2015
- Top 10 Associate Editors, 2014 Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, Elsevier
- SPE Junior Faculty Research Grant, September 2014-August 2016
- Postdoctoral Scholarship, In SUPRI A, Energy Resources Engineering, Stanford University, CA, USA (2008-2010).
- Visiting Researcher Grant, The Scientific & Technological Research Council of Turkey, six months, CANADA (2007-2008).
- Postdoctoral Scholar, Energy Resources Engineering, Stanford University, CA, USA, 2008-2010
- PhD, Petroleum and Natural Gas Engineering, Middle East Technical University, Ankara, Turkey, 2008
- Visiting Researcher, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering School of Mining and Petroleum Engineering, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada, 2007 (6 months)
- MS, Environmental Technology, Dokuz Eylul University, Izmir, Turkey, 2003
- BS, Environmental Engineering, Dokuz Eylul University, Izmir, Turkey, 2001
Kar, T., Ovalles, C., Rogel, E., Vien, J., Hascakir, B., The Residual Oil Saturation Determination for Steam Assisted Gravity Drainage (SAGD) and Solvent-SAGD, Fuel, LINK.
Kar, T., Mukhametshina, A., Unal, Y., Hascakir, B., The Effect of Clay Type on Steam Assisted Gravity Drainage Performance, Journal of Canadian Petroleum Technology, 2015, 54(6), 412-423, SPE-173795-PA.
Mukhametshina, A., Kar, T., Hascakir, B., Asphaltene Precipitation during Bitumen Extraction with Expanding Solvent Steam Assisted Gravity Drainage (ES-SAGD): Effects on Pore-Scale Displacement, SPE Journal, Preprint.
Kar, T., Hascakir, B., The Role of Resins, Asphaltenes, and Water in Water-Oil Emulsion Breaking with Microwave Heating, Energy and Fuels, 29, 3684-3690, 2015.
Aleksandrov, D., Hascakir, B., Laboratory Screening Tests on the Effect of Initial Oil Saturation for the Dynamic Control of In-Situ Combustion, Fuel Processing Technology, Volume 130, 224-234, February 2015.
Hascakir, B., Ross, C., Castanier, L. Kovscek, A., Fuel Formation and Conversion During In-Situ Combustion of Crude Oil, SPE Journal, Volume 18, Number 6, December 2013, SPE 146867-PA.
Coelho, R.S.C., Ovalles, C., Benson, I.P., Hascakir, B., Clay-Asphaltene Interaction during Hybrid Solvent-Steam Injection into Bitumen Reservoirs, SPE Canada Heavy Oil Technical Conference, 7-9 June 2016, Calgary, Alberta, Canada, SPE-180723-MS.
Demir, A.B., Bilgesu, H.I., Hascakir, B., The Effect of Clay and Salinity on Asphaltene Stability, SPE Western Regional Meeting, 23-26 May 2016, Anchorage, Alaska, USA, SPE-180425-MS.
Stape, P., Ovalles, C., Rogel, E., Hascakir, B., Pore-Scale Displacement Mechanism of Bitumen Extraction with High Molecular Weight Hydrocarbon Solvents, 20th SPE Improved Oil Recovery Conference, 9-13 April 2016, Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA, SPE-179608-MS.
Banerjee, S., Hascakir B., Management of Steam Flashing in SAGD Completion Designs via the Implementation of Flow Control Devices, SPE Thermal Well Integrity and Design Symposium, 23-25 November 2015, Banff, Alberta, Canada, SPE-178459-MS.