Dr. Datta-Gupta has research interests in rapid flow simulation techniques, reservoir optimization, large-scale parameter estimation via inverse methods and uncertainty quantification/ assessments.
Streamline simulation and applications
Inverse modeling and multi-scale data integration
Geostatistics and stochastic reservoir characterization
Modeling and scale-up of enhanced oil recovery
Awards & Honors
- Member, National Academy of Engineering (elected 2012)
- John Franklin Carll Award for distinguished contribution in the application of engineering principles to petroleum development and recovery, Society of Petroleum Engineers (2009)
- Outstanding Contributions to Basic Research in Geosciences, U.S. Department of Energy, Basic Energy Sciences Division (2008)
- Lester C. Uren Award, Society of Petroleum Engineers (2003)
- SPE Distinguished Member (elected 2001)
- Member of Polar Research Board, National Academy of Sciences (2001-2004)
- Faculty Fellow, Texas Engineering Experiment Station (2001)
- Cedric K. Ferguson Award, Society of Petroleum Engineers (2000)
- Distinguished Author, Society of Petroleum Engineers (2000)
- Distinguished Lecturer, Society of Petroleum Engineers (1999-2000)
- Best Peer-Approved Technical Paper, Society of Petroleum Engineers (1999)
- Tenneco Meritorious Teaching Award, Texas A&M University (1997)
- Outstanding Technical Editor, Society of Petroleum Engineers (1996)
- Rossiter W. Raymond Award, American Institute of Mining, Metallurgical and Petroleum Engineers (1992)
- PhD, Petroleum Engineering, University of Texas at Austin, 1992
- MS, Petroleum Engineering, University of Texas at Austin, 1985
- BS, Petroleum Engineering, Indian School of Mines, Dhanbad, India, 1982
Streamline Simulation: Theory and Practice , Akhil Datta - Gupta and M. J. King, Textbook Series #11, Society of Petroleum Engineers, Richardson, TX , ISBN 978 - 1 - 55563 - 111 - 6 ( Nov. 200 7 ).
Editor, History Matching and Conditioning Geologic Models to Dynamic Data, Society of Petroleum Engineers Reprint Series, ISBN 978-1-55563-210-6 (April, 2009).
Subsurface Imaging and Fluid Flow: Asymptotic and Trajectory-based Methods, D. W. Vasco and Akhil Datta-Gupta, Cambridge University Press (In progress, expected Dec. 2011).
The Oil Spill Recovery Institute: Past, Present and Future, The National Academies Press, Washington D.C. (2003), 165 pages (ISBN: 0-309-08514-4). Co-authored as part of the ‘Committee to Review the Oil Spill Recovery Institute’s Research Program’, National Research Council of the National Academies.
Guidance for Complying with BOEM NTL No. 2010-N06 on Worst Case Discharge for Offshore Wells, Society of Petroleum Engineers (2010). Co-authored as part of the Worst Case Discharge Calculations Committee, Society of Petroleum Engineers.
Watanabe, S., and Datta-Gupta, A., Use of Phase Streamlines for Covariance Localization in Ensemble Kalman Filter for Three-Phase History Matching, SPE Reservoir Evaluation and Engineering (to appear).
Bhark, E., Rey, A., Datta-Gupta, A. and Jafarpour, B., Multiscale Parameterization and History Matching in Structured and Unstructured Grid Geometries, SPE Journal (to appear).
Bhark, E., Jafapour, B. and Datta-Gupta, A., “A Generalized Grid-Connectivity-Based Parameterization for Subsurface Flow Model Calibration, Water Resources Research, 47, W06517, doi:10.1029/2010WR009982 (2011).
Rey, A., Datta-Gupta, A., and Ballin, P., “Assisted history matching in the presence of frequent well interventions using generalized travel time inversion,” Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, 78 (2), August 2011, Pages 415-30.
Yin, J., Park, H-Y, Datta-Gupta, A., and King, M. J. “A hierarchical streamline-assisted history matching approach with global and local parameter updates,” Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, 80 (1), December 2011, Pages 116-30.