On January 30, 1959, the Nuclear Science Center (NSC) was commissioned, under the capable direction of Dr. Robert G. Cochran, department head and director of the NSC. The receipt of a $350,000 grant from the National Science Foundation, in addition to $675,000 allocated by the Texas A&M System board of directors, allowed for the development of this one-of-a-kind center, designed to serve research and educational needs.
Texas A&M University remains the only campus in the United States to have two reactors, the 1 megawatt TRIGA reactor at the NSC and the 5 watt AGN-201M reactor on campus in the Zachry Engineering Center.
Click here to see the original article from The Eagle.
Visit the NSC website to learn more about the facilities, ongoing research, and scheduling a tour.