- computational materials science and nanotechnology with emphasis on design
- characterization and development of multifunctional nano-structured materials for device and sensor applications
- fundamental studies on transport phenomena (heat, mass and momentum) at nanoscale and in confined media
- thermal, mechanical, electronic and magnetic properties and phase behavior of materials
- materials for thermal management, power generation and energy harvesting
- development and application of multiscale simulation methods.
Awards & Honors
- 1999 Feynman Prize in Nanotechnology (Theory)
- William Keeler Faculty Fellow
- Ph.D., Clemson University, 1988
- M.S., Middle East Technical University, 1983
- B.S., Middle East Technical University, 1981
C. Sevik, H. Sevincli, G. Cuniberti, T. Cagin, “Phonon engineering in carbon nanotubes by controlling defect concentration,” Nano Letters 11, 4971-7 (2011).
O. U. Ojeda, and T. Çagin, “Hydrogen bonding and molecular rearrangement in 1,3,5-triamino-2,4,6-trinitrobenzene under compression,” J. Phys. Chem. B 115, 12085-93(2011).
J. B. Haskins, A. Kinaci, C. Sevik, H. Sevincli, G. Cuniberti and Tahir Çagin,“Control of thermal and electronic transport in defect engineered graphene nanoribbons,” ACS Nano 5, 3779-87 (2011).
B. Arman, Q. An, S.N. Luo, T. Desai, D.L. Tonks, T. Çagin, and W. A. Goddard, III “Dynamic response of phenolic resin and its carbon-nanotube composites to shock wave loading”, J. Appl. Phys. 109, 013503 (2011).
M. Mani-Biswas, T. Cagin, “Simulation Studies on Hydrogen Sorption and its Thermodynamics in Covalently Linked Carbon Nanotube Scaffold,“ J. Phys. Chem. B 114, 13752–13763 (2010).
H. H. Pham, T. Cagin, “Fundamental Studies of Stress Corrosion Cracking in Iron and underlying mechanisms,” Acta Materialia 58, 5142-5149 (2010).
B. Kim, A. Beskok, T. Cagin, “Heat Transfer in Nanoscale Shear Flow: Viscous Heating in Nanometer thin liquid Films,” Microfluidics & Nanofluidics 9, 31-40 (2010).
J. A. Carvajal-Diaz, T. Cagin, “Thermo-mechanical stability and strength of Peptide Nanostructures From Molecular Dynamics: Self-Assembled Cyclic Peptides Nanotubes,” Nanotech. 21, 115703 (2010).
A. Kinaci, C. Sevik, T. Çagin, “Electronic Transport Properties of SrTiO3 and its alloys,” Phys. Rev. B 82, 155114 (2010).
Arnab Chakrabarty and Tahir Çagin,“Coarse Grain Modeling of Polyimide Copolymers,” Polymer, 51, 2786-94 (2010)