The Department of Materials Science & Engineering minor degree program is designed to provide a strong materials science educational program for undergraduate science and engineering majors and to integrate a materials focus into their undergraduate training. It is intended for students who are interested in broadening their undergraduate major program of study to incorporate a fundamental understanding of materials processing and structure–property relationships to complement their major degree. Students will have the flexibility to select relevant coursework in order to customize this program of study to best suit the particular student’s intended area of focus through consultation with an MSEN faculty advisor. The minor program in materials science and engineering consists of a minimum of five three-hour courses for a total of 15 credit hours, with up to six credit hours in materials courses within their major. All students are required to have completed a prerequisite, such as MSEN 201—Engineering Materials: From Structure to Properties (or an equivalent course)—prior to applying for the minor. Two three-hour courses (six credit hours) are selected from a list of core MSEN undergraduate courses. The remaining three courses (nine credit hours) are selected from upper-level materials focused technical electives. With the permission of the MSEN faculty advisor, students may substitute up to two technical electives with courses from their major department with a primary focus on materials science and engineering. Completion of the minor will be recorded on the student’s university transcript.
- Complete and submit a minor application to the Department of Materials Science and Engineering after completing prerequisite introductory materials course (Consult with academic advisor in major department prior to submitting application for the minor).
- Submit completed minor worksheet to the Department of Materials Science and Engineering upon registering for final course(s) to complete minor requirements.
- Be in good academic standing within major department (GPR of 2.5 or higher).
- Obtain a grade of “C” or better in each course taken towards minor.
- Achieve an overall GPR of 2.5 in approved minor coursework.
Course Requirement Summary
To earn a minor in materials science and engineering, a student must first complete the prerequisite introductory materials course followed by a total of five materials science courses (15 hours), at least two of which must be selected from the list of core materials science courses. The remaining three courses can be composed of materials science technical electives. With the permission of the MSEN faculty advisor, students may substitute up to two technical electives with courses from their major department with a primary focus on materials science and engineering.
|Core MSEN Courses
|Technical Elective MSEN Courses
|Total Credit Hours|| 15|