- Knowledge acquisition techniques and tools
- Human computer interaction and intelligent system formulation
Awards & Honors
- David F. Baker Distinguished Research Award, IIE, 1994.
- IIE Bertram Gotlieb Award, Outstanding Contributions in Labor Relations, 1993
- Certificate of Contribution, American Society for Engineering Education, 1993
- Faculty Distinguished Achievement Award in Teaching, Association of Former Students of Texas A&M University, 1991
- Vice President and Board of Trustees, Institute of Industrial Engineers, 1989-91
- Public Service Award, FHWA Administration, "Membership on National Committee on Uniform Traffic Control Devices, 1986
- Paul Fitts Award, Outstanding Contributions to Education, Human Factors Society, 1982.
- President, Brazos Chapter of the Institute of Industrial Engineers, 1977 to 1978
- Director, Industrial and Labor Relations Division of IIE, 1991 to 1992
- Director, Management Division of the Institute of Industrial Engineers, 1987 to 1988
- Member, National Committee on Uniform Traffic Control Devices, 1983 to 1987
- PhD in Experimental Psychology at Texas Christian University
- MA in Experimental Psychology at Texas Christian University
- BA/BS Psychology, Math at Baylor University
Simmons, D.B., N.C. Ellis, H. Fujihara, and W. Kuo, Software Measurement – A Visualization Toolkit for Project Control and Process Improvement, Englewood, NJ, Prentice-Hall, 1998.
Babiker, E, D.B. Simmons, R.E. Shannon, and N.C. Ellis, "A Model for Re-engineering Legacy Expert System to Object-Oriented Architecture," Expert Systems with Applications, Vol. 12, No. 3, 363-71.
Fujihara, H., N.C. Ellis, R.E. Shannon, and D.B. Simmons, "Knowledge Conceptualization Tool," IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, March-April, 1997, Vol. 9, No. 2, p 209-20.
Ellis, N.C. and D.B. Simmons, "A Knowledge Based Approach to Ergonomic Design," Proceedings, Internat. Syst. Safety Conf., Albuquerque, NM, Aug. 1996, 3C1-3C2-12.
Ellis, N.C., S. Goodman, and D.B. Simmons, "An Evolving Ergonomic Safety Design Associate," Proceedings, International Ergonomics Society, Seatle WA, 1995.
Jilg, J.M., D.B. Simmons, and N.C. Ellis, "Translation of Uncertainty Representation Formats through a Knowledge Canonical Form," Journal of Information Sciences, Volume 77, Numbers 1&2 (double issue), March 1994, pp. 101-18.
Simmons, D.B., N.C. Ellis, and T.D. Escamilla, "Manager Associate," IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engin., Vol. 5, No. 3, June, 1993, pp. 426-38.
Mitta, D.A. and N.C. Ellis, "Development of Intelligent Design Associates: A Case Study," Applied Ergonomics, 1993. 24(4), pp. 235-43
Fujihara, H., D.B. Simmons, N.C. Ellis, and R.E. Shannon, "A Knowledge Acquisition Tool for Structuring Interview Data," Proceedings International Symposium on Artificial Intelligence, Monterrey, Mexico, September 20-24, 1993, pp. 316-24.