Awards & Honors
- Oklahoma Junior Academy of Science, elected to membership, 1961, Oklahoma State University
- National Science Foundation, Institute for High Ability Secondary School Students, 1962, University of Oklahoma
- Westinghouse, Science Talent Search national finalist, 1963
- National Merit Scholarship test, highest score in Oklahoma, 1963
- Frontiers of Science, scholarship, 1963, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
- Engineering Club of Oklahoma City, award, 1963, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
- Oklahoma Christian College, full scholarship (top entering freshman), 1963, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
- National Science Foundation, Undergraduate Research Participation Program, 1965, University of Oklahoma, Norman, Oklahoma
- Alpha Delta Tau, National Honor Society, 1966
- Who’s Who in American Colleges and Universities, 1966
- Graduate Record Exam in Mathematics, scored 800, 1966
- Harvard University, Prize Fellowship, 1966
- National Science Foundation, Academic Year Institute, 1967
- Phi Delta Kappa, National Honor Society, 1967
- Harvard University, Class Marshal for the Graduate School of Education, 1967
- Harvard University, Bowdoin Prize, bronze medal and cash award for outstanding writing, 1973
- Association for Computing Machinery, selected as a reviewer for Computing Reviews , 1975
- Blinn College, Faculty Council Secretary-elect, 1985, Brenham, Texas
- Harvard University, 350th Anniversary Choir, 1986, Cambridge, Massachusetts
- Abilene Christian University, Department of Computer Science Visiting Committee, 1993, Abilene, Texas
- Association for Computing Machinery, Outstanding Regional Intercollegiate Programming Contest Director Award, 1993, Indianapolis, Indiana
- World Congress on Neural Networks, Invited speaker, 1993, Portland, Oregon
- World Congress on Neural Networks, Neural Systems Session Co-chair, 1993, Portland, Oregon
- Graduate Student Council, 1997 Outstanding Graduate Faculty Award citation: “For your time and dedication to graduate students at Texas A&M.”
- Named by the TAMU System to The Academy for Educator Development, a major component of The Texas A&M University System’s Regents’ Initiative for Excellence in Education, 2003 (one of only two faculty members selected from the entire College of Engineering)
- Winner, $500 cash prize, Texas A&M University Academic Integrity Week Essay Competition (Faculty Category), 2004
- Ed.D., Mathematical Education, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts, 1977.
- M.A.T., Mathematics, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts, 1967
- B.S., Mathematics, Oklahoma Christian College, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, 1966
Daugherity, W. C., and Coulson, R. N., “Knowledge Engineering for Sustainable Agriculture Management,” Proceedings of ICAST 2001 Conference (Beijing, China, November 2001), 2:266, 2001
Coulson, R. N., Saunders, M. C., Saarenmaa, H., Daugherity, W. C., and Rykiel, E. J., “A Knowledge System Environment for Ecosystem Management,” book chapter in Klopatek, J. and Gardner, R. (eds.), Integration of Cultural and Natural Ecosystems Across Landscapes: Applications of the Science , Springer-Verlag, 1997 (in press)
Coulson, R. N., Daugherity, W. C., Rykiel, E. J., Saarenmaa, H., and Saunders, M. C., “The Pragmatism of Ecosystem Management: Planning, Problem Solving and Decision Making with Knowledge-Based Systems,” Proceedings of Eco-Informa ‘96 Conference (Lake Buena Vista, Florida, November 1996), 10:342-50, 1996.
Coulson, R. N., Fitzgerald, J. W. * , Daugherity, W. C., Oliveria, F. L., and Wunneburger, D. F., “Using Spatial Data for Integrated Pest Management in Forest Landscapes,” GIS World (accepted)
Daugherity, W. C.; Harris, C. E. , Jr.; and Rabins, M. J., “Introducing Ethics and Professionalism in REU Programs,” Proceedings of the 1995 World Conference on Engineering Education (Minneapolis, Minnesota, October 1995).
Coulson, R. N., Daugherity, W. C., Vidlak, M. D. * , Fitzgerald, J. W. * , Teh, S. H. * , Oliveria, F. L., Drummond, D. B., and Nettleton, W. A., “Computer-based Planning, Problem Solving, and Decision Making in Forest Health Management: An Implementation of the Knowledge System Environment for the Southern Pine Beetle, ISPBEX-II,” Proceedings of the IUFRO Symposium on Current Topics in Forest Entomology (Maui, Hawaii), 1995.
Yen, J., Daugherity, W. C., Wang, H. * , and Rathakrishnan, B. * , “Self-Tuning and Self-Learning Fuzzy Systems,” book chapter in Yen, J., Langari, R., and Zadeh, L. (eds.), Industrial Applications of Fuzzy Logic and Intelligent Systems , IEEE Press, 1995.
Daugherity, W. C., Video review of Introduction to Biological and Artificial Neural Networks for Pattern Recognition, by Steven K. Rogers, in IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks , Vol. 5, No. 5, 1994.
Teh, S. H. * , Daugherity, W. C., and Coulson, R. N., “A User-Centric Methodology for Building Usable Expert Systems,” Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Industrial and Engineering Applications of Artificial Intelligence and Expert Systems (Austin, Texas, May-June 1994), 45-48, 1994