- Distributed Algorithms and Systems: Dynamic distributed systems (i.e., systems with churn). Specication, implementation, and application of distributed shared data structures and their consistency models. Randomized distributed data structures and algorithms for improved fault-tolerance and efficiency.
- Wireless Mobile Computing: Design and analysis of distributed algorithms for various problems in wireless, mobile communication systems and wireless sensor networks. Design and analysis of solutions for wireless security problems. Spatiotemporal algorithms and analysis for mobile computing.
- Fault-Tolerant Computing and Reliable Computing: Development of practical attack models and defense systems, particularly in Byzantine (arbitrary) faulty computing environments. Development of distributed server systems that can better sustain denial of service attacks.
Awards & Honors
- Member of IEEE
- Member of ACM
- Ph.D., Computer Science, Texas A&M University , College Station, TX 2001
- M.A., Computer Science, Boston University , Boston, MA 1998
- M.S., Computer Science, Ewha University, Seoul, Korea 1992
- B.S., Computer Science, Ewha University , Seoul, Korea 1987
Andreas Klappenecker, Hyunyoung Lee, and Jennifer L. Welch. "Dynamic Regular Registers in Systems with Churn." Accepted for publication in Theoretical Computer Science (TCS), Elsevier. 2012.
Andreas Klappenecker, Hyunyoung Lee, and Jennifer L. Welch. "Finding Available Parking Spaces Made Easy." Ad Hoc Networks, Elsevier Science. Available online: DOI information: 10.1016 j.adhoc.2012.03.002. April 2012.
Cheng Shao, Jennifer L. Welch, Evelyn Pierce and Hyunyoung Lee. "Multi-Writer Consistency Conditions for Shared Memory Registers." SIAM Journal on Computing. Volume 40, issue 1, pages 28-62. January 2011.
Khushboo Kanjani, Hyunyoung Lee, Whitney L. Maguee and Jennifer L. Welch. "A Simple Byzantine Fault-Tolerant Algorithm for a Multi-Writer Regular Register." International Journal of Parallel, Emergent and Distributed Systems. Volume 25, number 5, pages 423-435. 2010.
Andreas Klappenecker, Hyunyoung Lee, and Jennifer L. Welch. "Scheduling Sensors by Tiling Lattices." Parallel Processing Letters, 20(1):3-13. 2010.
Seth Voorhies, Hyunyoung Lee, and Andreas Klappenecker. "Fair Service for Mice in the Presence of Elephants." Information Processing Letters, Elsevier. Volume 99, issue 3, pages 96-101. August 2006.
Hyunyoung Lee and Jennifer L. Welch. "Randomized Registers and Iterative Algorithms." Distributed Computing, Springer-Verlag. Volume 17, number 3, pages 209-221. March 2005.
Hyunyoung Lee, Jennifer L. Welch, and Nitin H. Vaidya. "Location Tracking with Quorums in Mobile Ad Hoc Networks." Ad Hoc Networks, Elsevier Science. Volume 1, issue 4, pages 371-381. November 2003.
Hyunyoung Lee. "Online Stable Matching as a Means of Allocating Distributed Resources." Journal of Systems Architecture. Volume 45, pages 1345-1355. 1999
Andreas Klappenecker, Hyunyoung Lee, and Jennifer L. Welch. "Dynamic Regular Registers in Systems with Churn." Proceedings of the 13th International Symposium on Stabilization, Safety, and Security of Distributed Systems (SSS 2011), pages 296-310. October 2011.