- Intelligent User Interfaces
- Computers and Education
- New Media
- Computers and Design
- Computer-Human Interaction
- Computer-Supported Cooperative Work
Awards & Honors
- TEES Center Fellow, 2014
- TEES Faculty Fellow, 2013
- Best Paper, ACM Web Science, 2013
- ACM Distinguished Scientist, 2009
- Google Research Award, 2009
- Best Student Paper Award at ACM UIST 2002 (with Haowei Hsieh)
- Douglas Engelbart Best Paper Award at ACM Hypertext '99, 1999
- National Science Foundation CAREER Initiation Award, 1998-2002
- Ph.D. Computer Science, University of Colorado, 1993
- M.S. Computer Science, University of Colorado, 1990
- B.S. Electrical Engineering, Rice University, 1988
C. Marshall and F. Shipman, “Exploring the Ownership and Persistent Value of Facebook Content,” Proceedings of ACM Computer Supported Cooperative Work, 2015, pp. 712-723.
F. Shipman, C. Monteiro, and R. Gutierrez-Osuna, “Identifying Sign Language Videos in Video Sharing Sites,” ACM Transactions on Accessible Computing, Vol. 5, No. 4, (March 2014), 9:1-9:14.
C. Marshall and F. Shipman, “Experiences Surveying the Crowd: Reflections on Methods, Participation, and Reliability,” Proceedings of Web Science 2013 Conference, 2013, pp. 234-243.
C. Marshall and F. Shipman, "On the Institutional Archiving of Social Media," Proceedings of ACM & IEEE Joint Conference on Digital Libraries, pp. 1-10, 2012.
S. Bae, D. Kim, K. Meintanis, J.M. Moore, A. Zacchi, F. Shipman, H. Hsieh, and C. Marshall, "Supporting Document Triage via Annotation-Based Multi-Application Visualizations," Proceedings of ACM and IEEE Joint Conference on Digital Libraries (JCDL), 2010.
F. Shipman, A. Girgensohn, and L. Wilcox, "Authoring, Viewing, and Generating Hypervideo: An Overview of Hyper-Hitchcock," ACM Transactions on Multimedia Computing, Communications, and Applications, vol. 5, No. 2, pp. 15:1-15:19, 2009.