- Distributed AI
- Biologically-inspired multi-robot systems
- Coordinated system
- Analysis of multi-agent systems
- Crowd Modeling
Awards & Honors
- Montague-CTE (Center for Teaching Excellence) Scholar for excellence in undergraduate teaching, 2013-2014
- Faculty Service Excellence Award, Spring 2010
- PostDoc. Robotics, University of Southern California, 2009
- Ph.D. Computer Science, University of Southern California, 2008
- MSc. Computer Science, University of Southern California, 2006
- B.Sc. (Hons) Computer Science, University of the Witwatersrand, 2001
- B.Sc. Computational & Applied Mathematics and Computer Science, University of the Witwatersrand, 2000
L. Liu, N. Michael, and D. A. Shell. "Fully Decentralized Task Swaps with Optimized Local Searching." In Proceedings of Robotics: Science and Systems Conference (RSS), Berkeley California, July 2014.
L. Liu and D. A. Shell. "An Anytime Assignment Algorithm: From Local Task Swapping to Global Optimality." Autonomous Robots 35(4): 271–286, November 2013.
J. O’Kane and D. A. Shell. "Automatic Reduction of Combinatorial Filters." In Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), Karlsruhe, Germany, May 2013.
J. O’Kane and D. A. Shell. "Finding Concise Plans: Hardness and Algorithms." In Proceedings of IEEE Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS), Tokyo, Japan, November 2013.
B. Fine and D. A. Shell. "Unifying Microscopic Flocking Motion Models for Virtual, Robotic, and Biological Flock Members." Autonomous Robots, 35(2–3): 195–219, October 2013.