- Human-Centered Computing, HCI
- Multitouch interaction, Sensory interfaces, Pen+Touch interaction, Gesture recognition
- Creativity support environments
- Information visualization
- Ubiquitous computing, Social computing, Multimedia
- Embedded systems, Software
Awards & Honors
- NSF Faculty Early Career Development (CAREER) Award, 2008
- Ph.D, Computer Science, New York University 2001
- M.A. Music, Composition, Wesleyan University 1993
- B.A. Applied Mathematics and Electronic Media, Harvard University 1982
Kerne, A., Koh, E., Smith, S. M., Webb, A., Dworaczyk, B., "combinFormation: Mixed-Initiative Composition of Image and Text Surrogates Promotes Information Discovery," ACM Transactions on Information Systems (TOIS), 27(1), 5:1-45, Dec. 2008.
Kerne, A., Smith, S.M., Koh, E., Choi, H., Graeber, R., "An Experimental Method for Measuring the Emergence of New Ideas in Information Discovery," International Journal of Human-Computer Interaction (IJHCI), 24 (5), 460-477, July 2008.
Kerne, A., Koh, E., "Representing Collections as Compositions to Support Distributed Creative Cognition and Situated Creative Learning," New Review of Hypermedia and Multimedia (NRHM), 13(2) December 2007.
Toups, Z., Kerne, A., "Implicit Coordination in Firefighting Practice: Design Implications for Teaching Fire Emergency Responders," ACM CHI 2007, pp. 707-716.
Kerne, A., Koh, E., Dworaczyk, B., Mistrot, J., Choi, H., Smith, S., Graeber, R., Caruso, D., Webb, A., Hill, R., Albea, J., "CombinFormation: A Mixed-Initiative System for Representing Collections as Compositions of Image and Text Surrogates," ACM/ IEEE Joint Conference on Digital Libraries, pp. 11-20, 2006.