Civil engineers are society's problem solvers. Do you want to make a difference? Consider a career in civil engineering...
Camp BUILD is a one-week summer camp designed for high school juniors and seniors. Students are given the opportunity to explore Civil Engineering as a major at Texas A&M University and experience the Aggie culture!
Some of the camp activities:
- Work on fun design projects: Guided by civil engineering faculty and students, work on design projects in a student-team setting. Learn how engineers use the “engineering design process.”
- Tour department facilities: The Department of Civil Engineering has several interesting research facilities such as a wave tank facility (http://coastal.tamu.edu/home.html), a structures/materials testing facility (http://hbsmtl.civil.tamu.edu/), and the Texas A&M Transportation Institute facilities (http://tti.tamu.edu/facilities/).
- Enjoy recreation: Scheduled evening opportunities are on-campus (e.g., A&M Rec Center) as well as off-campus (e.g., Grand Station in College Station).
- Stay in a dorm: Dorm life is part of the Aggie experience!
- Learn about the A&M admissions process: Students (and their parents) will receive information about TAMU admissions as well as financial aid opportunities.
Learn About Civil Engineering Fields
Meet Inspiring Engineers
July 24-29, 2016
July 31-August 5, 2016
To be eligible for Camp BUILD, students must be an upcoming junior or senior in high school . Females and minorities (groups that are underrepresented in the engineering field) are encouraged to apply.
The camp fee is $400 (includes housing and meals). Do NOT send money when applying to the program. Campers will be asked to pay the fee once they have been accepted into the program. A limited number of partial scholarships are available for students who qualify (see Scholarship Request Form).
Participants will be responsible for transportation arrangements and any costs associated with transportation to and from the camp. Transportation to camp activities will be provided by the Camp BUILD staff.
The application materials include the completed Application Form, a current official transcript, and two essays. A Teacher Recommendation Form (to be completed by a high school math or science teacher) is also required. The teacher (not the student) must submit the form directly to the Department of Civil Engineering; see details on the recommendation form. For eligible students, a Scholarship Request Form may be included in the application packet.
All application materials must be postmarked no later than May 1, 2016. Selection will be based on academic qualifications and potential benefit to the participant. Participants will be notified of acceptance by Friday, May 20, 2016. Students selected for the program will receive more detailed instructions at that time.
For more information
Zachry Department of Civil Engineering
Mail application to the following address:
c/o Crystal Faust
140 Civil Engineering Building
College Station, TX 77843-3136