- Nano and microelectronics with special interests in semiconductor materials, processes and devices as well as thin films and plasma technology.
- New materials, novel processes and advanced devices with the ultimate goal of creating high-performance, highly reliable, manufacturable devices for current and future applications.
- Devices under studies are TFTs, ULSIC, SSI-LEDs, solar cells, bio and optical sensors, etc.
Awards & Honors
- Fellow, American Vacuum Society, 2016
- Gordon E. Moore Medal of Outstanding Achievement in Solid Science and Technology, ECS, 2015.
- Vice President, Electrochemical Society, 2015-2018
- TEES Fellow, 2015
- Holder of the Dow Professorship
- Innovation Award, Texas A&M University System, 2014.
- Distinguished Research Achievement Award, Association of Former Students and Texas A&M University, 2012.
- Electronics and Photonics Division Award, Electrochemical Society, 2007.
- IEEE Electron Device Society Distinguished Lecturer, 2007-present.
- Fellow, Texas Engineering Experiment Station, 09/2005.
- Texas Experimental Engineering Station Fellow (05/2015).
- Fellow, Electrochemical Society, 1999.
- Fellow, IEEE Electron Devices Society, 1998.
- IBM External Honor, Invention Plateau Awards, Research Division Technology Awards, 10 awards, 1987 – 1997.
- > 170 keynote, plenary, and invited speeches in international conferences, universities, R&D centers.
- 100 conference organizer, chair, and co-chair.
- 40 Advisory, Review, and Planning boards, committees, etc. for governments, universities, professional societies
- Cover page article in ECS J. Solid State Sci. Technol., March 2016
- Invited paper in IEDM San Francisco, CA 12/15/2014
- • IEEE Spectrum Tech News (12/23/2014). http://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk/semiconductors/devices/meet-themicroscopic-light-bulb
- Plenary speech, 22nd International Workshop Active Matrix Flat Panel Displays and Devices, Kyoto, Japan (07/01/2015).
- Invited paper in IEDM San Francisco, CA (12/15/2014) which was cited as an IEEE Spectrum Tech News (12/23/2014). http://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk/semiconductors/devices/meet-the-microscopic-light-bulb
- Paper ranked #1 most-cited solid state article in ECS Transactions as of July 1, 2014. ECS Trans. 2006 1(5): 447-454; doi:10.1149/1.2209294
- Cover page article in J. Vac. Sci. Technol. B, January/February 2014.
- Keynote speech, Symposium of Semiconductor Science and Technology, 7th Sino-US Chemical Engineering Conference, Beijing, China, Oct. 15, 2013.
- Memorial (plenary) speech, 20th anniversary of International Workshop on Active-Matrix Flatpanel Displays and Devices, Kyoto, Japan, July 3, 2013.
- A top 20 Most Downloaded Paper in J. Vac. Sci. Technol. B on a new metal-doped High-k film, May 2013.
- A Research Highlight paper in Appl. Phys. Letts., February, 2013 on the new type of LED based on thin film metal oxides.
- Ranked #1, #4, and #29 Most-Cited Articles in ECS Trans. as of December 2012.
- Dr. Eng. Sci., Columbia University, 1979
- M.S., Columbia University, 1978
- B.S., National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan, 1974
Y. Kuo, Editorial Board, IOP J. Physics D: Applied Physics, 2016-
Y. Kuo, Technical Editor, ECS J. Solid State Science and Technology, 2012-2015.
Y. Kuo, Technical Editor, ECS Solid State Letters, 2012-2015.
Y. Kuo, Associate Editor, J. Electrochemical Society, 2003-2012.
Y. Kuo, Associate Editor, Electrochemical Society Letters, 2003-2012.
Y. Kuo and M. Furuta, Guest Editors, Focused Issue on Oxide Thin Film Transistors, ECS J. Solid State Science and Technology, 3(9), 2014.
A. Flewitt, Y. Kuo, and J. Jang, Guest Editors, IEEE J. Display Technology, special issue on TFTs, 8(1), 2012.
Y. Kuo, Editor, ECS Transactions 5th Semiconductor Technology for Ultra Large Scale Integrated Circuits and Thin Film Transistors, 67(1), Electrochem. Soc., Pennington, 2015.
Y. Kuo, Editor, ECS Transactions 4th Semiconductor Technology for Ultra Large Scale Integrated Circuits and Thin Film Transistors, 54(1), Electrochem. Soc., Pennington, 2013.
Y. Kuo and G. Bersuker, Editors, ECS Transactions 3rd Semiconductor Technology for Ultra Large Scale Integrated Circuits and Thin Film Transistors, 37(1), Electrochem. Soc., Pennington, 2011
Y. Kuo, Editor, ECS Trans.13th Thin Film Transistor Technologies, 75(10), 2016.
Y. Kuo, Editor, ECS Trans.12 th Thin Film Transistor Technologies, 64(1), Electrochem. Soc., Pennington, 2014.
Y. Kuo, Editor, ECS Trans. 11th Thin Film Transistor Technologies, 50(8), Electrochem. Soc., Pennington, 2012.
Y. Kuo, Editor, ECS Trans. 10th Thin Film Transistor Technologies, 33(5), Electrochem. Soc., Pennington, 2010.
Y. Kuo, Editor and co-author, Polycrystalline Silicon Thin Film Transistors, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Norwell, MA, 2004.
Y. Kuo, Editor and co-author, Amorphous Silicon Thin Film Transistors, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Norwell, MA, 2004.
S. Zhang and Y. Kuo, “Temperature Effects on Charge Storage and Transfer of Nanocrystalline CdSe Embedded Zr-doped HfO2 MOS Memory Device,” ECS J. Solid State Sci. Technol., 5(9), Q231-Q238 (2016). DOI: 10.1149/2.0231609jss
C.-C. Lin and Y. Kuo, “Light emission enhancement by embedding nanocrystalline cadmium selenide in amorphous ZrHfO high-k dielectric thin film deposited on silicon wafer,” ECS J. Solid State Sci. Technol., 5(3), Q75-Q80 (2016). A cover page article (03/2016).
Y. Kuo, invited, “A Metal Oxide Antifuse-Diode Device,” ECS Trans., 69(12) 23-29 (2015).
S. Zhang, Y. Kuo, and S. Verkhoturov, “Post Deposition Annealing Atmosphere Effect on SSI-LEDs Made of Zr-Doped HfO2 High-k Gate Dielectric,” ECS Trans., 69(12), 17-22 (2015).
Y. Kuo, invited, “A new type of solid state incandescent LED (SSI-LED) prepared by sputter deposited metal oxide thin film on Si wafer,” 13th ISSP Proc., 20-24 (2015).
D. Li, K. Kim, S. Zhang, G. Dong, Y. Kuo, “High-performance organic–inorganic hybrid optocouplers based on organic light-emitting diodes and a-Si:H photodiodes,” Sensors and Actuators A, 236, 364-368 (2015).