- Abnormal situation management
- Aerosol research
- Inherently safer design
- Quantitative risk assessment
- Reactive chemicals
- Modeling of silane releases
- LNG safety and design
- Flammability research
Awards & Honors
- Holder of the T. Michael O'Connor I Chair
- Norton H. Walton/ Russell L. Miller Award, Safety and Health Division of the American Institute of Chemical Engineers, 2009
- Regents Professor Award, 2007-2008, Texas A&M System Board of Regents
- Medal of Honor, Technical University of Lodz, Poland, 2008
- Fellow, American Institute of Chemical Engineers, 2007
- George Armistead, Jr. '23 Fellow, 2004-2005, Texas A&M University College of Engineering, Texas A&M University.
- Distinguished Achievement Award for Teaching, The Association of Former Students, Texas A&M University, 2003.
- George Armistead, Jr. '23 Fellow, 2003-2004, Texas A&M University College of Engineering, Texas A&M University.
- Consultant to Columbia Accident Investigation Board, 2003.
- Texas Engineering Experiment Station, Research Fellow, 2002.
- Service to Society, 2000 Award from the American Institute of Chemical Engineers.
- Quality Recognition Award from PPG Industries, Inc.
- Ph.D., 1986, Chemical Engineering, University of Oklahoma, Norman, Oklahoma
- M.S., 1983, Chemical Engineering, University of Oklahoma, Norman, Oklahoma
- B.S., 1978, Chemical Engineering, University of Engineering and Technology, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Wei, C., W.J. Rogers, and M.S. Mannan, "Understanding Reactive Hazards using Molecular Simulation: Mechanisms of Hydroxylamine Decomposition," Chemical Engineering Communications, vol. 194, no. 5, May 2007, pp. 579-585.
Narayanan, D., Y. Zhang, and M.S. Mannan, "Engineering for Sustainable Development (ESD) in Bio-Diesel Production," Transactions of the Institute of Chemical Engineers, Part B, Process Safety and Environmental Protection, vol. 85, no. B5, September 2007, pp. 349-359.
Mannan, M.S., H.H. West, and P.C. Berwanger, "Lessons Learned from Recent Incidents:Facility Siting, Atmospheric Venting, and Operator Information Systems," Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries, vol. 20, Issues 4-6, July-November 2007, pp. 644-650.
Al-Mutairi, E.M., J.A. Suardin, M.S. Mannan and M.M. El-Halwagi, "An Optimization Approach to the Integration of Inherently-Safer Design and Process Scheduling," Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries, vol. 21, Issue 5, September 2008, pp. 543-549.
Henning, J. B., C.J. Stufft, S.C. Payne, M.E. Bergman, N. Keren, and M.S. Mannan, (in press). "The influence of individual differences on organizational safety attitudes," Safety Science.